Sick Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tony_Romano

I’ve have a Sailfin Tang for 2.5 months – it seems to have something wrong with it. It is very skinny and seems to have a bit of fin rot going. It is in a 90 gallon mixed reef common sumped with a 215.

Ideas?

Pictures would help. So would more information on your system. Water parameters. Did you quarantine first?

I'll try on PIC - hard enough to see live.

Water is fine other than slightly high NO3. Very mature reef system.

No fish was not quarantined first. I buy from a dealer who fresh water dips everything and runs UV and meds in system.

Hopefully Lee will come along shortly to offer some ideas. Look at the threads above from Lee and see if there is one that is helpful. It would help if you would give more information on your tank for Lee, he will ask.

List everything the fish is being fed and what it is eating. Indicate how much you feed it and how often it gets fed.

Is it shy or staying out in the open some of the time? They are reclusive, but if 'disturbed' they hide almost all the time.

An establish aquarium has the downside of slowly (and subtly) collecting up wastes and detritus. These must be removed. I don't know the system you have, the fish and food wastes that may be there, nor do I know the maintenance of the system, substrate cleaning routine, etc. However, an excess of organics can and does encourage more than normal numbers of bacteria. The fish can usually handle the greater numbers unless it is not being given the proper nutrition.

We'd like to see a photo if you can and are still able to, along with the above information.

For feeding guidelines this is what to follow: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

And for choice of food forms, you should read:
Different Marine Fish Food Forms.

Let us hear from you. :)

Combination of many frozen foods on market in addition to Ocean Nutrition formula two. One or two times daily - fish does not seem to eat much. It is out, only slightly shy.
PICs under My Photo Gallery to left. I will try again!

Last edited:
try throwing some dried seaweed soaked with Kent Zoe and Zoecon..the vitamins and Hufas should help with the undernourishment...it definately needs the seaweed in its diet anyway! i buy mine in bulk packs from Asian food stores.. you can get like 100 big sheets for $8-10.... .. if you can't get it to eat, try enticing it with a garlic additive ....also, are there any fish that are keeping it from eating or antagonizing the fish???

does your sailfin tang show redness around his anus area...or a bloated stomach??? if so...the problem may stem from as far back as the diver who caught it....some divers don't take the time to properly decompress the fish from the depths it was caught at...instead they use a hypodermic needle and pierce the fishes bladder through the anus to release pressure as the fish is being brough up to the surface...it is a very bad practice but sadly some divers use this practice to bring a fish up to the surface....the fish will survive and start to eat...but if a bladder infection happens the fish will slowly get skinnier and eventually die....

Have you tried OGO.....a Red Macro Algae that the tangs readily feed on in its natural enviroment.....be happy to send you some in the mail.....to help you fatten your fish up....and save him from starvation.....Aloha

The fish is obviously starving. It is not 'normal' to see a fish's spine.

I'm afraid it probably hasn't got long to live. It could have intestinal worms that are taking most if not all of the fish's nutrition. At the fish's current condition, I'm unsure that a de-worming process could be completed before the fish starves. So, I wouldn't treat the fish for this unless you have seen signs that indicate an intestinal problem (such as stringy fecal matter, white fecal matter, abnormal feces, vent inflammation, etc.). If you think this is the cause, start treatments according to this post: De-Worming and Fishes with Intestinal Problems.

About all that can be done is to try presenting marine algae in different ways. Tie or rubberband some to a rock and sink it. Let a piece float around. Stick another on a clip part way down the tank. Put one on the bottom partly held down by a rock. Etc.

Update - After a couple of days of many feedings fish seems better. Today I got it some seaweed - ignoring it so far.

Good news, Tony. Try presenting the algae in different ways: under a rock near where it hangs out; attached to a rock with a rubberband; on a clip that sinks or floats; on a clip on the sidewall.

Some ideas on presentation: Food Presentation.

Keep trying. Remove what is uneaten every evening, then put in fresh the next morning!

Back