Sickly hammer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
I just bought a hammer with the hopes of re-habbing it. It has about 1" torn away from it's skeleton that still appears to have life. My question is should I rubber band it back to it's skeleton? Cut it off and glue or rubber band it to acrylic or a piece of rubble rock? If I leave this "piece" that's hanging off of the skeleton will it kill the rest of the hammer or should I cut it free. Any help will be appreciated. I have it acclimating in my tank right now.
Thanks,
Darrell

Probably not much you can do for the piece hanging off, it will either heal on it's own or not. Flow will help to fight infection, but at the same time might tear it off the skeleton. The uninjured heads will be fine.

So I wnet ahead and rubber banded the loose peice to the skeleton. It's not pinching,just holding so flow won't tear it off.

High flow may help? That's not what I would've thought, but I am definately still learning!!

Apparently lthis was in a tank that had a calcium reactor go bad and spiked the calcium. Does that change your mind on High flow?

Thanks,
Darrell

You don't want high flow for a damaged hammer. But you do want enough flow where all the tentacles are constantly moving. Also it wouldn't hurt after it has been in the tank a couple days to give the non damaged heads a little direct feeding. Give it some extra energy to use to heal up.

I shoulda been more specific. Like Slate said, not high flow, but enough to keep it moving. too much will rip the flesh right off the skeleton and not allow it to heal.

rubber band = bad idea not gonna heal at all should have put it in a tupperware with some bridal vale to the keep it from ripping off.

Back