Signs of a healthy tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Just for curiosity I felt like moving some rocks (and bottles) around in my tank to look underneath to see what was living there. I guess I was bored today in between getting a tooth pulled, doing an electrical job and painting my ceiling.
Anyway I am more interested in whats hiding than whats actually swimming. I know whats swimming because I bought most of it but I really like the unusual stuff, the stuff that just turns up or grows on it's own. For instance, any rock I lift and turn over will be covered in calcium covered tube worms about 3/8th inch long extending down into the gravel like tree roots.
The rest of the rock are teaming with spaghetti worms and in all the nooks and crannies are tiny creatures most of which are just pods but as I look with a jewelers Loupe some of them appear to be tiny lobsters. They are of course not but they are similar.
If I look with a flashlight into the caves I will see hundreds of tiny red fan worms. Amphipods 1/4" long also appear as I stir things up but I add these from the sea.
I feel that these appearances mean a healthy tank. These animals are all invertabrates, some crustaceans and some mollusks.
I don't know how many of these things I added with my many collecting trips or how many have been reproducing for years but just having them is a good sign. If a tank can not support myrid microscope life than it would have a problem housing higher forms of life.
Just my thoughts.
Paul
Anemone1.png

also when u do a water change next smell ur tank if it smell like low tide at a rock pool then thats a healthy tank

Paul what do you do these days as far as keeping the tank up, I know over the years you've changed routines, I'm sure as the tank matures or goes through growing cycles you have to adjust your habits or maybe even do less?

Paul what do you do these days as far as keeping the tank up, I know over the years you've changed routines, I'm sure as the tank matures or goes through growing cycles you have to adjust your habits or maybe even do less?

Scooter, I do less.
My reef doesen't look like it did last year when I lost a lot of corals due to zinc orthophosphate in my water supply but I did add a few gorgonians and about 25 gobies and bleenies. It has been my goal for many years to get a lot of smaller interesting fish and much less larger more common fish. There are only so many angels, tangs and butterflies you want to keep. Many of my
gobies I have never seen before a few pairs are spawning along with the Bangai Cardinals. I don't have any time to try to raise them.
I did change some water yesterday that I collected out east in the Hamptons, I change water about 5 times a year, some years more some less.
Except for that and cleaning the glass and skimmer tube, thats about it.
I do hatch brine shrimp every day because many of my fish are tiny and thats all they eat and I do keep live blackworms but just about everything is automatic.
Between feeding, cleaning glass and hatching shrimp I guess I spend about five minutes a day on maintenance. This is just one of my hobbies and it is boating season. The tank seems very healthy as I can tell by the microscope life. I know when that stuff is blooming and thriving I can put anything in the tank and it will do well.
There is no algae at all now which is also part of an ongoing experiment.
(I think changing water grows more nusience algae but I don't want to start that now)
My tank is not a showpiece and was never meant to be. It is a hobby and a lifelong experiment. I add things to that tank that really don't belong but it is what it is.
Have a great day.
Paul

I think that is the first time I heard/read someone from this country saying they get their water from the ocean...
some people in Marine World would do it... maybe their beaches are cleaner...
I agree lots of little life is better...
and no skimmer!-)

read someone from this country saying they get their water from the ocean...

All of our animals come from natural sea water, none of it comes from fake sea water.

For every 10 wanted critters you could have 1 unwanted critter. Its best to use more base rock then LR and then seed it. Either way expect to redo your rock work a few times as you learn.GL..

Back