Silicone sealant

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scuttlebut

Is it safe to use a silicone sealant in my tank that does not contain anti- mold/mildew agents such as GE Silicone 1?

GE 1 is the one to use. It may say not safe for aquariums but it will work. I have used at least 2 tubes of it on differant systems and have not had a problem yet. Even had a crack in a custom overflow and the fix was real bad but a whole tube of it fixed the leak and has worked for 8 months until the tank was torn down.

Thanks so much for the green light. I would have hated to use the stuff only to find out it would have ruined my setup once filed and running.

Actually GE Silicone I doesn't have mold/mildew inhibitors in it, GE Silicone II does, thus windows & Doors. Which the Silicone I is the one you want to use.

I've seen clear, white, and gray at my local Lowe's. Don't believe I've seen black but you may need to check with your local glsss store, hwd store, lfs etc. may be a special order item.

Check out Aquarium Obsessed for the black silicone. I know a local guy who ordered some through them.

Back