Silly me - Flood number two!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

Hey All,

You may remember my first flood, way back in August, where I learned the value of NOT using zip ties on a Mag24 reuptake. Well, last night I FORGOT to turn off the RO/DI Unit as it was filling my five gallon bucket and when I remembered 7 hours later I had flooded the basement! GRRR. Just thought I'd share my pain with a group of peeps who can empathize. The funny thing to me (maybe lack of sleep due to sopping up water until 3am) was that I was squishing around in the carpet surrounded by water yet the tank was fine, "dry" and contained...

It's always the stupid mistakes that cause the catastrophies! sheesh... :oops:

I've added float switched connected to LEDs on my RO/DI resevoir for just this reason. I flooded my house many times by forgeting the thing was running.

Now I have an LED that indicates when my 35 gallon can is low and one for when it is full. I have the lights in the TV room so I can see when I need to go shut off the RO water. haven't flooded since.

I just use a kent float valve. Your doing pretty good ONLY 2 floods in almost a year.

Don

I also had a problem when making my RO/DI... and flooding. I added about 50' line, so I can place my 5 gallon buckets in the tub... so at least now when I forget I'm actually making water... the excess isn't going anywhere that hurts the house! *grinz*

I've not flooded my rodi, but someone taking care of my tanks in december let it go all day, and it took the paint off the downstairs ceiling in a 2' diameter... :|

-Josh-:cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I don't have enough fingers and toes for how many floods I've caused which is why all the tanks are banished to downstairs, after leaving a five gallon bucket with the RO on and it ran down the vents... I had a major temper tantrum like only I can do and on the last day of breaking the last tank upstairs down, dropped the sump and put a 3 inch gouge in the new laminate flooring. I can't be trusted. Now the brute cans sit in the bathtub downstairs.... :) Still not colleenproof, as you can forget to attach the output and when it floats to the top it falls on the floor... What also doesn't work is forgetting to put the disharge water tube in the tub and not leaving it on the floor... I do crazy things at 5am when I'm leaving for work. The kids are old enough now to be checking up on me all the time.. :razz: :razz: :razz:

LOL!!! ohh yeah.
it has happened to me too :D :p .... and more than twice.
i flooded the neighbours apartment twice in a row because of my RO/DI ... i totally forgot about me making water and 2 days after, i had people knocking on my door thinking there was some sort of flooding going on in the building :lol:, then the maintenance people came very pissed off and yelling to get the tank out, i told them that it wasn't the tank, it was my filter and since they didkn't know anything they said ohh ok.
We still had to pay for the stuff there was downstairs :lol: ohhh and did i mention i almost slept in the couch :p :lol: .
In the new place where i live i have flooded only 3 times :p but it think this building is better since i never got anyone knocking :lol:

I put one of them there automatic shut off valves on my rodi unit, with a kent float valve in the trash can. You would think that that would solve the problem, but Noooooooooo....
I adjusted the float valve to try to get two more gallons in the can, it hits the lid and just barely but not quite doenst shut all the way off. So, flood the garage floor. No biggy realy.

Wow I can't believe you guys with all these flood stories! LOL. I now set the timer to remind me. 4 hours later my wife ask me why the timer is going off :)

LOL!!! I love it! I think I'll put a timer downstairs, good plan.

And thanks Luke, in fact, James was the one who was being a sweetie to go turn the thing off for me after I remembered it was on. He got the wet sock :( he he oh well...

Keep the stories comming, they make me laugh away the pain! :)

How about this one, luckly it was a very cool customer.
I have my 44g brute with the valve in the bottom on the side. I take water out in it, and the other is for mixing new.
So there I am draining for a water change, I am wondering why isnt the bucket filling up? Whats that noise, splissh splash splash. Oh heck, the valve is open. Uhhhhhhhhhh. LOL
I shop vacked it, and then had the carpet cleaned. Luckly it was in the basement and was just glued to concrete with no pad. Still felt very very stupid.

If you have a wrist watch alarm, set it. A kitchen timer. Bring it to where you are.
A water alarm can be set on the floor near the tank: it will scream like a banshee if water reaches it.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

I've had more water on my floor than I've ever had to my tank! :p I almost felt like just tossing the fish on the floor as well and just let them swim around there(LOL) Too many episodes with me...

Back