size skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mdbv25

I'm getting a 75gRR , the stand is a standard 48" stand. The sump/refug. is 36''x 14''x 12'' high.... should I get the skimmer to inlude the amount of water in the sump? So I would look at a skimmer that is maybe good for 125gph?

Michael.....

Welcome to RF!!! As for the skimmer, yeah...You usually want it rated for the total volume of water in your system (tank and sump) to be safe. Maybe even a little over in some cases. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it here:)

Thanks abunch!!!

I was looking at an octopus skimmer, but I want something that's quiet and needs little maintenace.... I was told these were great skimmers, does anyone have any recommendations? And thanks for the welcome... glad to be here.

I have to go to work... I'll reply to any recommendations in a while.

Michael:) :)

Octopus skimmer has become pretty popular here lately. Euroreefs and ASM's have always been pretty popular. If you are considering an Octopus skimmer, I'd talk with Bob (reefdaddy). His company (also a sponsor here Aquarium Extreme) carries them and he should be able to give you great feedback.:)

I feel that they are great skimmers for the money, I am going to use one on my Frugal reefer thread, My total tank volume is 195 gallons. Have yet to decide which one but I will soon make up my mind. But I ran the NW200 without any mods and it did really well. I would rate it a 7 out of 10. The extra point is for the money savings.

Excellent!!!

:) So I will look into getting an Octopus skimmer that can handle 105 gallons, that's tank and sump.

I already purchased an Eheim 1250 pump, I was interested if there was a quality back-up battery or if they pretty much are simmilar except in price?

That's pretty much it...... Off and running. Going to bed now , thanks for the feed back, you guys helped out alot.

Michael

(I'll be back!);)

No louder then any other skimmer, They use a no name pump, But to me it looks like Hailea. Its really quiet. But your gonna get some sound alone because of the turbulance in the chamber. I dont think you can get around it. But a Stand well insulated will really quiet it down.

Stand?

So in my sump, I could get away with making an acrylic stand? Or just something that would keep the pump off the bottom?

:?: Michael

i have always used aqua medic 1000 multi. i love them. good product.greate custumer service. they hve hang on and they have sump. no maintanance. they are good for 250 gal. good gunk rmover. this is my opiion. good luck. jakleen

personally(and i like sps clean tanks),
i think you should double the recommended tank size of the skimmer, if your worried about removing nutrients and plankton, add them!
i'd much rather have a skimmer large enough to take out most of the gunk from the tank in a few hours as opposed to a few days.

Back