Skawt's 75 Project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skawt

Been looking for a larger tank for a few weeks and finally decided to pickup Steven11's setup that he was selling. Currently we have a 29 gallon Eclipse setup that has proven that we love the hobby and (knock on wood) are able to keep the critters alive.

Here is what we are starting with:
TankStart.jpg

Got some cleaning up to do:
DirtyTank.jpg

We are painting the stand black, it's easy to get help at the beginning of a project:
Sanding.jpg

Things are looking a lot better now:
AllClean.jpg

Can someone tell me if there is a safe paint I can use to paint the overflow and the return pipe that goes across the top (no picture yet)? I have scraped and sanded the overflow but as you can see in the pictures above it still needs work.

We thought we could just hop down to our LFS (Sumner) and buy a canopy but the only ones they sell separate from the stand is the pine one that does not have a solid top. Instead we have decided to build our own. We have made the run for the materials and will get pictures up later tonight.

Last edited:
Looks like it will be a nice setup! Good luck!! :) On the paint, not sure what's out there that is aquarium safe. Hopefully someone will chime in, but if not, I'd start a new thread dedicated to your question on the paint in the general area where it will get more views/attention :)

Stand is coming along, got it primered and first coat applied, amazingly everyone is still helping:

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Assembled the canopy, we are just going to round off the edges with a router and then it'll be ready to sand and paint:

Canopy.jpg

I'm hoping to get the stand and canopy finished up this weekend so I can start plumbing next week.

Between coats we stuck the stand in it's new location just to make sure we would be OK and get an idea of how much space we have. Everything looks good, I'm planning to do a water change in the small tank this weekend and move it to it's new location in my home office.

As the time for the plumbing gets closer I am getting more nervous about messing it up. I don't think we can set it up outside, plumb and water test, and then carry inside once we have the stand, tank, and sump installed.

Wiring the canopy tomorrow.

SizeTest.jpg

Hoping that the painting is about done. Here's everything starting to come together. It didn't seem like the tank was that much bigger just looking at the dimensions but set up side-by-side it looks like a pretty big jump.

I think I could build a nice stand now that I have learned how on this one. Perhaps I'll rebuild it down the road but it's good for now.

GettingClose.jpg

Tank looks awesome, I just wanted to warn you that I think there are child labor laws. Just playing My daughter just sits around and calls me a reef geek.

Back