Skimmer???? Advice or Opinions Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

colin779

So i am looking for a new skimmer, and I'm attempting to stay in the $200-$250 range. I was looking at the Reef Octopus NWB-150. I was also looking at the SWC Xtreme 160 Cone skimmer. As far as pump and build quality which is better? I haven't been able to find anything directly comparing the two. I was also curious if the extra $80 is worth it for the SWC skimmer.

This skimmer will be for my 90g tank. Currently I'm leaning more towards the Reef Octopus (it is a new version that is more of a cone design) unless someone has something really good to sway me towards the SWC.

I am no skimmer expert but I ended up getting a SWC 250A & never recreated it. mojo on reef2reef is a great one to ask about this. Good luck

hola!!
well, i would say that the SWC 160 cone is better than the NWB-150,
the 160 cone gives you 700lph air injection @ 27 watts, is dead quiet, super easy to adjust and dial in,
pretty hard to beat for $275. The otp 2000 pump on the NWB-150 gets about 450 lph air injection @ 35watts.
also, I'd take an atmann brand pump(SWC) over the OTP pumps octo uses on the NWB models any day.

also, the SWC bmk 150 is also 700lph air @27 watts, (same pump as 160)) just a cylinder instead of a cone, and only $195,
straight up the best sub $200 skimmer on the market, and would be great for your 90g as well.

octopus skimmers are still pretty good, if u bought one, im fairly certain you'd be pretty happy,
i just prefer SWC because i think the design features, pumps, and customer service is better,
hence why i choose that brand to sell, as well.
for sure there are better skimmers on the market if you want to spend a bunch of dough,
but I like the economy pricing of SWC versus the power, build quality and features you get.
here's the 2 skimmers on my buddy's website, im out of stock on those models ATM;
SWC Cone
SWC150 BMK
luke at reefiltration offers excellent customer service!

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. So my next question is now is there a significant difference between the bmk 150 and the 160 cone? I guess i'm just curious if there is a $80 difference in production or is the cone the newer technology?

What skimmer did you end up with? We are looking for a new skimmer for my wife's tank and I'm leaning towards the swc150bmk at the moment.

Thanks,
Brian

We ended up getting her the SWC150 since her tank is only 60 gallons. Even though I already have an SWC180 cone on my tank and knew what to expect we were still surprized of what a nice skimmer it is for $200.

Brian

Yep, for the money that skimmer is great. The body alone would cost more to build then buy. What pump came with that skimmer? the great thing I like about this skimmer is the ability to mod it in the future. Did this one come with a gate valve or is it that turning stand pipe thing?

Back