Skimmer Advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NeuroDoc

I recently purchased Chuck's (MtnDewMan) old 75g tank, stand, etc. I am very excited to get this set-up and stocked. However, I need advice on a skimmer. Here is my conundrum:

Chuck was running a deltec turbo skimmer in the sump. Right now that is too far out of my budget for me to consider (although I may have too). The space I have in the sump for the skimmer is 11"x7.5". That excludes an ASM or EuroReef skimmer. I need recommendations on a good quality skimmer that I can fit into that space. Any and all advice is appreciated (including how to mod an ASM or EuroReef to fit, or where I can buy a used Deltec for <$300 :) )

Thanks in advance.

NeuroDoc said:
The space I have in the sump for the skimmer is 11"x7.5". That excludes an ASM or EuroReef skimmer. I need recommendations on a good quality skimmer that I can fit into that space.

Thanks in advance.

You can fit an AquaC EV180 into that space very nicely as will a Precision Marine Bullet 1.

You would need to run the pump feed to either of these from a different area though in order to make it work.

Otherwise, I could suggest only that you look into something like a Pro Clear Aquatics Model 150 or maybe even a model 250. These aren't the best skimmers, but either can be found for under $200 new and they do pull a fair amount of gunk out of the tank.

-Jimbob

I wish i could help you but i seriously don't know to much about skimmers.... i'm still learning about them.
I hope someone can give you a little bit more info on what to look or what kind.

First off, my bad, the space is 15x7.5, not 11x7.5. I don't know where that 11 came from, but I just remeasured.

9x9 wouldn't fit in my sump.

SkimmerWhisperer recommends the EuroReef as well, and you can get blemished versions directly from them at http://www.h2otropicals.com/. If I could mod one to make it fit, I would probably go that route.

I am also looking at the AquaC EV-180 with Mag-7 pump. Is that a reasonable option?

krish75 said:
You can run a Euroreef if you wanted to. Premium Aquatics has them on special ($198) with free shipping and only needs 9x9 space to operate:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...n=PROD&Product_Code=EURO-CS080&Category_Code=

Last edited:
krish75 said:
Here's an older photo of how I have my AquaC EV-120 plumbed into my sump. Maybe it will give you some ideas:)

Sorry for the temporary hi-jack of this thread, but:

That's a mighty nice looking sump and inside stand area you have the krish. How tall is the inside of your stand and did you build it yourself (or have it custom made) or is it a standard stand?

Sorry for the temporary hi-jack of this thread, but:

That's a mighty nice looking sump and inside stand area you have the krish. How tall is the inside of your stand and did you build it yourself (or have it custom made) or is it a standard stand?

Hey Jimbob! Thanks for the compliments:) That photo was taken after I expanded the sump and added in the last chamber. This link http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12686 shows the progress of my 75gal with the expansion of the sump etc. Right now, under the stand looks a bit different which you will see if you check out that link. Kinda long thread, but you can just skip through the typing and check the pics(LOL) The stand is 32 inches tall custom built. I didn't have the time to build it so I had the guy who did our cabinets in our townhouse build it, but I built this one here last week which will be for my new cube. :)http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15623&page=4

krish75 said:
Here's an older photo of how I have my AquaC EV-120 plumbed into my sump. Maybe it will give you some ideas:)

Krish,

Is that the height of the skimmer, or do you have it on a stand?

I am looking at a AquaC EV-120, but with a mag-7 pump (rather than the default mag-5). Should I be worried about "overdriving" the skimmer. The AquaC website says I should put some sort of valve between pump and skimmer to turn down the flow if necessary. Is that really necessary? I also have the option instead of the mag-7 to go with a Rio HF12. Any opinions?

Last edited:
i know euroreef is making a hang on skimmer as we speak, it should be out soon....the only thing i can think of to decrease the footprint of the euroreef is to take the elbow off the pump and plug pump outlet directly into the skimmer body, and then aim the intake down. i'll take measurements when i get home tonight. or better yet just replace your sump with a 10g glass tank for $20, it will fit in there for sure.

if you do get the aqua c ev120 definately get the mag 7, and dont use a lame-ass rio on any skimmer let alone that one:)

Last edited:
Krish,

Is that the height of the skimmer, or do you have it on a stand?

The skimmer is on a stand because the gate valve has to be above water level to function properly. The skimmer is nothing but a little midget:p
About using the mag7, I use the mag5 that is recommended and it kicks butt! I would never personally upgrade my pump to the mag7. More flow for this skimmer isn't necessarily better IMO from what I've learned toying with it:)

Krish,

Your sump Kicks A$$! It alwys so neat and clean. I like the light idea too!

Nick

Thanks Nick! Hopefully my new sump will be even neater! We'll see hopefully by the weekend as I am supposed to be getting the custom built tank and sump by then. :)

i like Mark's idea :) and that's what i have for a sump a 10 gal glass, it didn't take to much space and well if you ever wanna grow chaeto, you can just put it in there or add a divicion to the tank.

also, if height is an issue for you, remember that it is very important with the ev-120 to have it sit up above the water level and gravity drain into the sump, like you see in krish's picture

also, if height is an issue for you, remember that it is very important with the ev-120 to have it sit up above the water level and gravity drain into the sump, like you see in krish's picture

Mark...The skimmer doctor speaks!! He speaks nothing but the truth!:p

Thanks everyone.

My sump is divided into an area for the skimmer and also for a refugium. I am anticipitating setting up a refugium, or I would just use my old 10g for a sump.

Mark, thanks for the advice on the Mag-7. The area in my sump for the skimmer is only about 4 inches deep (I think, I haven't measured). Can I run an elbow out of the EV so that it drains below the water surface to eliminate noise? I read on the AquaC website that if I do that I should create an anti-siphon hole or rather than an elbow, use a tee with the top open. Would appreciate your input on that as well.

Back