Skimmer Advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Can I run an elbow out of the EV so that it drains below the water surface to eliminate noise?

Mine uses an elbow on the exit and it is slightly right above the water level and you can't hear a thing coming out.

NeuroDoc said:
Can I run an elbow out of the EV so that it drains below the water surface to eliminate noise? I read on the AquaC website that if I do that I should create an anti-siphon hole or rather than an elbow, use a tee with the top open. Would appreciate your input on that as well.

you want the skimmer water to return on top of not underneath the the water surface, like krish said, if you make it go down to about 1" away from the water surface it will be much quieter.
looking at the diagram for that sump, is there any other chamber larger than the one meant for the skimmer? it looks like the "refugium" section is a little larger, mabye you could put a skimmer in there instead and just throw some rubble and chaeto in the "skimmer" section.

skimerwhisperer said:
you want the skimmer water to return on top of not underneath the the water surface, like krish said, if you make it go down to about 1" away from the water surface it will be much quieter.
looking at the diagram for that sump, is there any other chamber larger than the one meant for the skimmer? it looks like the "refugium" section is a little larger, mabye you could put a skimmer in there instead and just throw some rubble and chaeto in the "skimmer" section.

The refugium area is only about 1/2" wider, leaving still with only 8" of width to play with. The AquaC will fit without problems, and it looks like I will be buying one shortly.

Back