Skimmer and CO2 scrubber question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cameloter

I have a 120 gallon heavy bio load tank and I am concerned that my Reef Octo extreme 160 is not up to the task. My concern is that I'm still having problems with hair algae and red slime despite being very cautious about feedings, running carbon, phosphate reactor and having fuge.I change between 10-15 G water per week.Some options I am considering are adding the Red Devil pin wheel, buying a larger skimmer although space may be an issue and lately read about a CO2 scrubber.Does mechanical filtration have any effect on this situation? Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

I'm a newbie, so while you are waiting for others to chime in:
cyano (the red slime) is often a low flow issue.
Phos reactors need new media pretty often to maximize their effect. There was a thread that I cannot find at the momment which tested a phos reactor with a colorimeter and the results were that it worked very well, but you need to keep the media "fresh".
I had one rock that had some hair, I hit it with a toothbrush every water change and siphoned out all the loose bits. It is pretty much all gone now.

well, IMO a well working extreme 160 should have no issues handeling a 120g,
but you do have the crappier octo made version...so yes, it would be a good idea to get a better reducer/venturi and red demon pinwheel or new SWC pinwheel...
then you can also mesh your old pinwheel and experiment with that as well.
good luck and lmk if u need any help.

you might also want to consider injecting ozone into the skimmer, instead of a co2 scrubber...
that would definately help clean the system as well, but onlt use one with an orp controller...

Last edited:
skimmer

Where would you find better reducer/venturi and which SWC would you recommend?

well, IMO a well working extreme 160 should have no issues handeling a 120g,
but you do have the crappier octo made version...so yes, it would be a good idea to get a better reducer/venturi and red demon pinwheel or new SWC pinwheel...
then you can also mesh your old pinwheel and experiment with that as well.
good luck and lmk if u need any help.

I have a 120 gallon heavy bio load tank and I am concerned that my Reef Octo extreme 160 is not up to the task. My concern is that I'm still having problems with hair algae and red slime despite being very cautious about feedings, running carbon, phosphate reactor and having fuge.I change between 10-15 G water per week.Some options I am considering are adding the Red Devil pin wheel, buying a larger skimmer although space may be an issue and lately read about a CO2 scrubber.Does mechanical filtration have any effect on this situation? Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

I have the same skimmer on a 65 gallon system and have been having som issues with getting that skimmer to hone in. Heavy bioload is definitely going to be an issue, but doesn't always need to have a heavy and consistant phosphate reducing media reactor. It's good to have, yes, but is not the solution to getting rid of your algae issue. Nitrates and phosphate are food for algae and both need to be addressed, however, IMO nitrates are worse. Plus, phosphate is actually needed by corals and is good to have a little(emphasis) in the system. I would pay big attention to your magnesium as well since that is how I took care of my algae problems. I used a "shock" method with Kent Tech M and raised the Mag level 100 per day until it was in the 1600-1700 range and that completely wiped out the algae...and quickly. Also, red slime is really really easy to get rid of! The magic is Brightwell's carbon source. Use that to completely eliminate your nitrates and slime. It works like a champ!

skimmer

Do you mean Brightwell's activated carbon or some other product?
I have the same skimmer on a 65 gallon system and have been having som issues with getting that skimmer to hone in. Heavy bioload is definitely going to be an issue, but doesn't always need to have a heavy and consistant phosphate reducing media reactor. It's good to have, yes, but is not the solution to getting rid of your algae issue. Nitrates and phosphate are food for algae and both need to be addressed, however, IMO nitrates are worse. Plus, phosphate is actually needed by corals and is good to have a little(emphasis) in the system. I would pay big attention to your magnesium as well since that is how I took care of my algae problems. I used a "shock" method with Kent Tech M and raised the Mag level 100 per day until it was in the 1600-1700 range and that completely wiped out the algae...and quickly. Also, red slime is really really easy to get rid of! The magic is Brightwell's carbon source. Use that to completely eliminate your nitrates and slime. It works like a champ!

hints that helped me years ago..

My ears perk when I see hair algae. I think of unfiltered water, all in one additives with other products in them, aquascaping, flow to keep things suspended in water column so skimmer works efficiently. I think another thing overlooked is premixing saltwater-to designed salinity and temperature with RO/DI or RO water. I had to learn these things and I want pay it forward by reminding others. I hope your problem is a simple one.

Good luck,
Ed:)

You may just need to use some red slime control, it will kill off the cyanbacteria that is causing it. Clean as much as you can first, then use it. If you still have signs after 4-7 days then do 25% water change and hope that is the end of it. Good luck. :)

Back