Skimmer build, need pump advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jag3534

Finally gettin rid of the sea clone! Building a skimmer with a reaction chamber size of 5 3/4" W, 10" T, with 4" neck, though i might reduce the neck size down, dont know yet. Its not going to have a bubble plate or a center chamber, just an open reaction chamber design. Was looking at the SEDRA 2500 needle wheel with a mesh mod and venturi...any thoughts, or opinons?

Also, on my water inlet into the chamber, should i make it swirl around the chamber, or just spray straight into the chamber?

Yes, the skimmer is pretty much done, and works GREAT!...will post pics later on how it all went together. I did end up gettin' the Sedra 3500 with needle wheel. all i can say is "Nice Bubbles"!

dont forget to mesh mod it...:)
you wont get a huge increase with air on that pump, but mabye an extra 100lph, and you will make the bubbles smaller, as well as consume less watts. oh, and omit the elbow they send with the pump and put the pump outlet directly into the skimmer body with the volute facing down. that'll give you almost 20% more power right there

Last edited:
Ok it's the wife, He asks how you go about doing the mesh mod. He showed me some funky mesh stuff he brought home from work, and said he doesn't have the stuff youre supposed to use, but he thinks it'll work. So how would you do the mesh mod on this sedra? Wait til you see the pic of this thing, it's like two tea canisters glued together, with some plumbing reducer on top. Oh man, lmao. But hey, she works like a beast already, so what can I say?

Meshmodding a sedra.....puke. It will up the wattage. The air draw will go up but minimal, and you may have startup probs. Is it worth it......no. A different venturi may be though. They have been using that ancient venturi for yrs.

awww, luke...you make a me cry....lol :)

if you do the mesh right, then you dont have no stinkin start up issues..:idea:

people get the extra watts and start up problems from using too much mesh,
on a 3500 you only want 2 layers, preferably flattened by heating and smashing,
and no zip ties, too much added weight for that impellar, fishing line is better.

....yeah, didnt you tell me a stable mesh modded qo3000 was a urban myth??
yet, behold, I did it!! ...lol

Last edited:
Ok it's the wife, He asks how you go about doing the mesh mod. He showed me some funky mesh stuff he brought home from work, and said he doesn't have the stuff youre supposed to use, but he thinks it'll work. So how would you do the mesh mod on this sedra? Wait til you see the pic of this thing, it's like two tea canisters glued together, with some plumbing reducer on top. Oh man, lmao. But hey, she works like a beast already, so what can I say?

spoken like a true reefer wife....lol:D

you can get enkamat mesh for cheap on ebay, and at marinesolutions.com

but if you guys arent idiot skimmer savants like luke and myself, then mabye take luke's advice and leave it, as it can be a finniky pump to mod, but I always had success modding that pump, and have done so successfully for many locals around here, so if you can get it to me, I'll mod it for free for you.
and I have enkamat mesh too.

The wifey here again, he did try the mesh junk he had, but it wasn't very flat, and it did have the stinking startup issue. He did it with the fishing line too. i think. He is currently in the sump, where he was trying to drill holes in the acrylic baffles, so he could turn her around and put the sweeet skimmer on the other side. Unfortunately the drill had a LITTLE too much torque, and he cracked the acrylic on BOTH sides of the part with the DSB. Soooo, now we may or may not have baffles, a DSB, or clean air when he's done swearing..... lol.....

I have real enkamat here at my house and the gutter gaurd..
and fishing line.. and a heat gun for flattening the mesh down..
Let me know if you need to use some...
I know you already did it but the right material could make the difference..

Thanks for the offer Skimerwhisperer! Ill let you know if I cant get the mesh mod going myself, But if i have any ?'s i'll post them here. Adam, maybe ill pick some of that up from you at your party on sat!
Alright update on the skimmer...worked great in the garage in the test tub, not so good in the sump, I tried putting the pump in so the volute was facing down and the water level got way to high in the chamber with the size of outlet it has on it, so it does push alot more water that way, might have to make the water outlet bigger. Turned it the other way with the volute facing up, water level was good, but no bubble foaming at the top of the water level into the neck. Im thinking it needs to just break in, and do a mesh mod?

holy cow...
you win the ghetto skimmer mod of the year award!!!!

your wife was right!

Im just kidding...I love home made stuff, and it looks like you spent all of $5 on plastic...lol

yep, lemme know if you have anymore Q's

or if you bring the pump to the frag swap, or adam's party,
i'll mod it there for yous..

lolllll...... yeah, shes pretty sweet. You know you want to incorporate this into your pro designs! Come on...

And i can totally start working for you desinging on monday, so don't even worry about it! lol

Back