Skimmer choices?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

Hello, I'm trying to decide which protein skimmer to get for my 70 long tank. I had an Aqua C Remora on my 29g and loved the thing. Should I get the Aqua C Urchin pro, Remora pro or should I go with something different like a Deltec or ASM, maybe a Coralife skimmer?

any info would be great.

Thanks!

Glen:D

i have a css220 on my 55 tank and it really pulls out the skimmate, i get really dark skimmate, i did the output mod and you just have to clean the intake and the venturi intake periodically based on how much bubbles are in the chamber.

I do have a sump but my clearance between the top of the stand and the bottom is only 21". Maybe the Aqua C remora pro would be the way to go.

I do have a sump but my clearance between the top of the stand and the bottom is only 21". Maybe the Aqua C remora pro would be the way to go.

no, it wouldnt be the way to go, they suck (or rather, they dont suck enough)...

and i cant say that the coralife superskimmers are any better,
mediocre pieces of crap is what they are....

for your 75g in a sump with only 21" i would say the tunze 9010 is the way to go. you can also run it in the tank if you wish, but they work better in the sump. they are rated for like 260g, but they lie... they are perfect for a 100g tank .
the new models have a bigger venturi, so the air draw is more like 750lph, not 650lph like the old model.
awesome, compact skimming powerhouse!

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1266

Last edited:
Yea I'd say its not very good either ;)

P1000215.jpg

dude, posting a pic of skimmate doesnt mean squat...
it's all dependant on your bioload, feeding, wc regime etc...
and how long did it take to collect that?

the best way to judge skimmers is by
1. the amount of air and water they process,
2. the build quality,
3. over all design including dwell time.

based on those factors along with personal experience trying to fix leaks and overflows, i dont like them (the css is the only skimmer i've owned that MELTED into a crooked skimmer in the back of my car in summer).

We're all entitled to our own opinion:) I just posted that to show him what I get out of it. That is less than 24 hours of skimming on a 55 gallon that had one clown and various softies. I now have it on my 24AP and get the same looking stuff. BTW, I realize I'm probably just lucky that I got one that works;)

Back