skimmer for a closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keener1830

lawnmower
I have a 100 gal acryclic tank. I want to use a closed loop system because the tank came with a life guard system and little giant pump. I was told the only way to add a skimmer under the tank would be to add a sump this making it a non closed loop system. Is this true is there some way to add a skimmer on a seperate loop with out a sump or in order to keep it closed loop do I have to use a hang on skimmer? Any help would be great thanks

You can add an overflow with drains and returns for your sump. Is the closed loop drilled in the back of the tank? It will no longer be a closed loop once you take it to the sump, however, you can have both on a tank. I have a closed loop and a sump....they are two different plumbing schemes.

If I understand what you are saying right here are a couple of options that I have thoght of; 1. you can use a hang on skimmer on the back of the tank, not the most attractive but it will work. 2. Drill two holes in the back of your tank, one for intake and another for outtake. pump the water directly into the protien skimmer and back into the tank through the other bulk head, that would create an additional closed loop system with the protien skimmer, I hope that helps you out.

Back