Skimmer have too much foam, Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bmw-legend

Yellow tang
I bought a 85gal use tank and it come with big skimmer inside the sump. I finally got it running yesterday and the skimmer(Not sure what brand) have so much white foam coming out and 15 minutes the container is full. I look all over the skimmer, can't find any adjustment anywhere. The skimmer connect with the a pump and a white tube (for air). Is it normal to have alot of foam coming out because the water is too dirty?? if any help I really appreciated. thanks

The Skimmer looking something like this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...oduct~AG1171~idCategory~FIPSISVSHT~tab~2.html

Last edited:
Normally the standpipe will move up and down to adjust your water height, but if not I would cut it down and put a gate valve on the outlet end.

Good luck,

-augustus

I have two adjustments on my Euro-reef skimmer. It has a little air valve on the airline tubing that is going into the pump to control the airflow and the other adjustment is the standpipe coming out of the skimmer.

You may have it in to high of water, or the standpipe is closed to much, or your running it on a new system, was just cleaned, some additive is reacting with it.....etc. Need more info about what is going on with your tank to help : )

I think the adjust of the pipe maybe right. I'll try adjust tonight when I get home ro work..thanks so much for all your help...really appreciated..great forum with great people..

It sounds to me like you are skimming too wet - you will want to adjust your flow into your skimmer - usually most skimmers will have a valve between the pump and the skimmer, or in the feeding line to the pump

I try to adjust mine so that the immediate white bubbles just start to spill over - and then check it again in a few hours to make sure the bubble level didn't go down.

usually most skimmers will have a valve between the pump and the skimmer

I havent seen every skimmer on the market, but have never seen one like this.

I used to have that exact skimmer. Either the stand pipe needs to be lowered or its in too deep of water as posted above. If its in water deeper than 8" I would recommend building a stand for it to sit on. It should ideally be in 6-8" of water. As luke said, It could be blowing its top due to cleaning agents used before you bought it.

Last edited:
There seems to be too many unknown factors to give sound advice. Tell us what kind of skimmer or post a pic after you check the standpipe tonight.

It's work good now. the stand pipe adjust the foam. thanks for everbody advise..Really appreciated...

Back