skimmer help...Its down

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
So i got home today to a power outtage...it came back on quickly...But now i cant get my skimmer started...I have a octo 150 with a mesh mod impeller....when i plug it in it kinda rattles,or vibrates...i checked the impeller and it seems to be ok...but its like it wont draw air?or does the impeller stop? any help would be great...Thanks..Shane:)

use an air pump to pump air into the air inlet for 5 mins. usually, when the power goes out some water backflows through there. take off air pump after 5 mins, usually that drys out the hole. good luck

or just blow down the air line with the pump on, that should get it started.
lmk if that works...if not you may need to check the impeller to see if the plastic part is still attached to the magnet, or just spinning uselessly on top of it. I have an extra nw-150 pump laying around if you need it for cheap.

Last edited:
well after hrs of no luck.I think i need a new impeller or the whole pump...I give up on it for the night...If no luck tomorrow...I will pm you mark for the new pump...Thanks for your help...Shane

I had the same issue with mine. It's not the newest model and was purchased in December of 08. I called Aqua Cave and they sent me out a new pin wheel implellar and now the pump starts up correctly everytime after I unplug it.

Yes mark...i am the one....Ok...So i got home this afternoon and decided to try it out again...I removed the mesh mmaterial and the zip-ties....plugged it in...and walla....Nothing...so i checked the impeller and it seemed to be kinda locked up,but it spun backwards about 2 turns...them i plugged it in and it fired right up....but now its like its drawing to much air...the water is running out of the drain hole before the collection cup,and its not producing foam like it did..Is this because it was off for so many hrs?Tell me what i should do to get it running properly...Thanks so much for your help...Shane:?:

So you removed the mesh and zip ties---Did you put them back on?

Won't work the same without it back on !

When was the last time you cleaned the motor?

Have you ever taken it apart ( Impeller out of housing and front cover) and let it all soak in a bucket of muratic acid and water(quick ans immaculately clean But might harm some things if done to strong for to long !

Or A less intense cleaning in pure vinegar For a long time to get all the Calcium buildup etc. out of the magnet housing and off the impeller magnet!

It should be able to move freely only the magnets

Just thought's

:)

Paul

yes.it gets a vinegar bath about every 6 months...I did not put the mesh mod back on...as i was just happy to get it started again...Its still very clean,thats why i was so confused as to why it would not start back up.....It has been running for a few hrs and is starting to produce foam again,just not near as it was with the mesh mod!

Mark....i do agree it needs to be re-modded....how ever...i think i might need a new impeller...one of the fins(i guess thats what its called)or blades is broken...could it be out of ballance??

Back