Skimmer Mod?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BigD I would say concederably. See different things grab onto that organic mole at different times. The first ones are the organic surficants, they live on the water-ar interface (thats why w want the surface water of the tank to be a bit turbulant so they dont form a film). anyway these guys actually penetrate the air bubbles (picture a round bubble with a billion spikes sticking out of it) from thier the surface of the bubbles has changed and so has the surface activity of the bubble. From thier its like folks jumping on the bandwagon, and it allows other organic types (like doc's, particulate that would normally not attach to do so) to attach to what is already attached?? with out these surficants you dont get bubbles in your skimmer. I am sure you have noticed that foam production stops for a bit after a feeding , or your hands going in the tank. Well this is because we have introduced fatty acids and oils that break down the surficants for a period of time.
Soooo in doing this type of mod on this type of skimmer we are doing the following.
> by recircing the input pump we are allowing for increased contact time between organic free mole and the clean air bubble (good thing as explained above) we are also increasing the contact time between air bubble and organic still attached to the water mole (good thing as it will increase the bombardment rate and help in mechanically stripping the organic from the water mole.
>When introducing the water and air from the same location (as is with this skimmer) it is reducing the amount of water moles the air bubble comes in contact with, not very efficient. But in recircing it we get more of it.
> in using the same pump to introduce air as we do to introduce water we run into a delema. If we reduce the water input into the skimmer to be closer to what we want to reach a good purification rate we also effect the air input and thus foam production. This way we seperate the two and get the best of both worlds

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanks Mike, that is my next purchase and project. Do you think the gate valve is worth the mod, or should I just stick with the height adjustable overflow on the skimmer. I am going to go with the recirc, and the powerhead feed mods for sure.
Steve

Back