Skimmer not Skimming?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matthew

Recently I changed my overflow box to CPR up-graded my pump to a mag drive 9.5. This new set up was loud but with some input got that figured out. For one week my Ex-caliber Skimmer has not functioned like it used to. The water that comes into my sump goes through some 1'' PVC makes a 90 degree turn and I drilled some holes in the pipe after the turn. This is all under the water so now I have alot of air in my sump.

Hmmm...May not necessarily be your skimmer not functioning properly. Sometimes my skimmer won't really produce anything for a whole week and then one day I'll get a container full. I've heard others say this as well. If there isn't much to pull out, it won't give you anything unless it is set to run really wet IMO.

About the sump, a lot of air in it isn't bad IMO unless it is returning a lot of micro bubbles into your tank. A lot of air usually means highly oxygenated water which aerobic bacteria needs. Do you have a photo of how your sump looks and the pipe coming in?

Well, if you have them already saved on your computer, you can go to sites like www.imageshack.us (which I use and is free) and just follow the screen to browse, select, upload and copy your photo and then all you'd have to do is past the link here in a reply and WALLA!:) Pretty straight forward and if you use that link above, I usually use the copy the "hotlink to forums 1" to post my pictures. HTH

Matthew said:
Recently I changed my overflow box to CPR up-graded my pump to a mag drive 9.5. This new set up was loud but with some input got that figured out. For one week my Ex-caliber Skimmer has not functioned like it used to. The water that comes into my sump goes through some 1'' PVC makes a 90 degree turn and I drilled some holes in the pipe after the turn. This is all under the water so now I have alot of air in my sump.
I don't know what all you have in your tank---but would be worth checking your calcium, dKH, pH, and magnesium levels. If these are out of whack---your skimmer will have trouble functioning properly. I can't explain it completely---but these minerals and factors affect the surface tension of the water. If the surface tension of the water is not what it could be---then it will not bubble properly in the skimmer to pull out the crud in the water.

Does that make sense????

Anne

Back