Skimmer opinions for 180g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

I'm getting close to putting a new skimmer on my system...and am looking for some non-scientific opinions/reviews from you all. If you have...or have had a system of this size I'd like your opinion on your skimmer...production of skim, ease of use, pump size...stuff like that. I was going to just get an EV-180 but read a few bad reviews on this board and now want to examine them further before jumping right in...which led me to replacing a 4 month old unit simply b/c it's undersized by about 60-65g.

Many thanks

yeah, bm200 would be great for a 180, i would say you dont need the bm250, we have that on a 500+ system at barrier reef and it's perfect, so i would say waay overkill for 180g.

the bm200 injects 1,100lph of air, any deltec or h&s skimmer that draws that much is rated for 325g - 380g.

Barrier Reef carries them locally. Reef geek is way backordered on them, but BR has them in stock. I got a BM 150 from them for my future tank.. stilll debating if I should set it up on the current 40 gallon though =P I probably will.

Hmm maybe they dont have the 200 in stock, only the 250 =\ Once you factor in shipping, the price is usually close and even closer on things we can use psas discount on. There are few things I hate more then dealing with returns/exchanges/warranties/problems with companies online. Even the best are a pita to deal with when something goes wrong. Shipping things back and forth is not quick. Plus BR's corals are top notch =P I want to support them so Ill have a place to buy corals from for years to come.

I have an EV-180 on my 150. I'd rate it at about 7.5. I don't have a hair of algae, but can't seem get rid of my Valonia (grape looking algae) and I maintain 0 nitrates/phosphates. So, non-scientifically, it works to remove the bad things, and it fits in a smaller sump space, but it could be better, because I think my 100 micron filter sock takes out most of the crap. Also, don't go with their recommendation for pump size, and buy the Mag 9.5, and dial it down somewhat as needed. I went with their recommendation for the Iwaki, and it didn't produce anything after weeks of tweeking...save your $$

After reading other users recommendations, and seeing the Bubble Masters and Octopus', Euro's, etc. and reading about bubble size and air draw. I now see what a great skimmer can do.

It still comes down to price & space availability.

For what it's worth, the dual recirc Octopus 150 runs about the same $$ as the EV-180. A Bubble Master 200 is about $100 more, but there are several mods on this forum like the mesh wheel conversion for the needle wheel skimmers like the Octopus and BM that will greatly improve upon that already great design.

It was around 410 + tax. The BM150 wasn't made in great enough quantity to fill the demand though. They only had enough to fill their pre-orders. As far as I know you cant find them anywhere at the moment.

DaBrowns, sounds like your planning ahead. What's your criteria for skimmer space, and $$$? Internal or external skimmer? If you go with the EV series, get the 240 at least.

-David

well I'm trying to...but so far I haven't found one that EVERYONE seems to be happy with. It sounds like the Aqua C's are VERY sensitive to changes like your hands in the tank. Mine are in there often...I feed our corals with a turkey baster...and we have a deeper tank...so...in goes the arm. Also we add new corals...since the tank is young. My only "absolute" is that the skimmer needs to live in the sump b/c when I get the new sump it will take up most of the space down there. I'm really happy with the way the Urchin Pro is working...it's just not BIG enough...if they made them one size bigger...there would be no contest. Also I let the sump level fluxuate by about 3 inches twice a week b/c in my 55g that = 5 gallons (roughly) and since I'm lugging buckets like the 18th century...a little flux is OK. Maybe that will change after adding my own RO/DI??

Still looking for opinions / options

Thanks to those who've added their input

Sorry fishy - I may have been a bit unclear on that...I have a 150g display...and a 55g sump that I keep between 25 and 30g in. So I'm looking for a skimmer that handles 180 total water volume.

EV's like many skimmers go dead when putting your hands in the tank, feeding some foods that are oily, etc. The biggest thing about this skimmer, is that you really need to keep the water level in the sump at a consistent height, and the skimmer needs to have nearly zero microbubbles before entering the skimmer pump or you will have extremely poor performance...like nothing for weeks. Since the skimmer works best with raw tank water coming from your overflows and prior to any chemical media, this has been a very difficult challenge to keep in the first chamber of my sump. My only choice was to have a filter sock on my two overflow drains, and then that water moves a few inches to the pump that inputs water into my skimmer, and then the skimmer outputs into the second chamber where I have polyfilter, etc.

I agree with Mike, I would look at the Octopus NW series skimmers if I had more room to work with.

Back