Skimmer opinions for 180g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the link is to the maker of my skimmer and I am thinking of placing a order with them either this month or next month. I use the MRC-2 beckett skimmer ran with a gen-x PCX 55 high pressure pump. It is easy to adjust the amount of skimmate. dial's in pretty easy. over all I am impressed with its performance. just a side note It has been running for about a month so lets see how well it breaks in, but for now I simply love it. my tank is a 180 I just set up.

I was under the same dilemma last week. I am getting a 375g tank built, and was torn between the BM 250 and the H&S 250. I decided to spend the extra money and get the H&S. The reason I did it is that the BM didn't have the high quality parts I was looking for, was only rated for 500 gallons (not 700 gallons as the H&S was. The BM 250 is a good skimmer; The H&S is a great skimmer.

the h&s doesnt come in a 250 model, and there is no h&s rated for 700g, either 500g or 1,000g, which exact model are you referring to? is it a new one i am unaware of?

also, the ati bm250 is rated by the manufacturer for 3000 litres, roughly 700g, reef geek, the american importer, rates it at 500g.
we have it on a 500g system and i think it is honestly rated at 700g, as i know it could handle a larger load. also, the bm300 is coming out in a few months as well...

granted, you are definately correct in assuming the build quality is better with h&s skimmers, although ATI has redesigned their skimmers with thicker acrylic and a new gate valve and a submerged outlet to make it totally silent. they are right in there with build quality the same as euroreef, and deltec imo.

I vote for euroreef. Just one look and you understand the quality and simplicity of it's design. Almost everyone you talk to will tell you that it is a top 5 brand skimmer (quality and performance). How does the saying go .. set it and forget it! You get what you pay for!!

yes, this is a new model (250 2x1260) for the US version only (you will not find it displayed on the German web site); it happen to be in stock when I called finsreef who is the only authorized dealer of this skimmer. It is rated for 700 gallons per the vendor.

I checked into the new version that BM is releasing, but was told could be several weeks (which I dont have) before it is released.

Back