Skimmer plumbed in-line (no sump)...will this work?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skylsdale

Okay, I'm assuming this should be fine to do...but just wanted to run it by you guys first to see if there is anything I may have missed.

I've got a 15 gal tank (24x12x12) that I'm setting up, but will have an MRC-1 skimmer available to use on it. The tank is not drilled (and would prefer not to try it) and where it will be displayed, won't have any room for a sump. So, what I'm thinking is to have an intake pipe in the tank which goes straight to the pump, which feeds into the skimmer, and then an output from the gate valve straight back to the display tank.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

skylsdale said:
Okay, I'm assuming this should be fine to do...but just wanted to run it by you guys first to see if there is anything I may have missed.

I've got a 15 gal tank (24x12x12) that I'm setting up, but will have an MRC-1 skimmer available to use on it. The tank is not drilled (and would prefer not to try it) and where it will be displayed, won't have any room for a sump. So, what I'm thinking is to have an intake pipe in the tank which goes straight to the pump, which feeds into the skimmer, and then an output from the gate valve straight back to the display tank.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

The water going to the pump would have to go downhill. The skimmer will flood because the water cant go back up.

Don

Since its a beckett you may be able to put it on a shelf above the tank. You will still need the pump mounted below the tanks water level. If its not to low it will feed the beckett just fine. The big problem is going to be all the micro bubbles that a beckett produces.

Don

I totally forgot about the microbubbles (it's currently running on a larger system in-sump, which will be taken down in the near future). Maybe I'll just have to reconsider the layout and my idea of the setup a bit more...

You could make, or have made, an acrylic 'sump-like' container that will sit behind your tank, at the same height as the tank. Have the skimmer output flow into one end of this, and then flow through baffles to an output on the other side which drains back into display. It works like a hang-on-back refugium. Good Luck!

Back