Skimmer problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ntswift

mako shark
My ETSS 1200 stopped working on me. I don't know why or how. It was pumping and I wasn't getting enough air apparently so I got it more air and now its back to not working. It has the bioballs in it but other than that, I am stumped. I am definitely seeing it in my corals as well. Need to get this fixed asap as I am leaving for another week on Monday. TIA!

Matt

I guess you need the problem too huh?! haha I'm not getting any skintimate (sp?) at all. water is going in but not producing any bubbles at all. Well not enough to matter anyway...

Check for snails and other objects like cheato in the pump. I had a snail in mine when i shut it off for a few minutes to clean, took me forever to figure out why the bubbles were so low when i turned it back on. also running the whole thing in pure heated vinegar cleaned mine in 12 hours. Sparkly

as others have mentioned, check the injectors, pump, and plumbing between them for obstructions...
also, how did you "get it more air"?

i cant remember the 1200 model, how many injectors, height, and what pump is on it??

The air tubes dont seem to be clogged. I put my hand over them and there was pretty good suction coming out of it. I got it more air by turning up the air intake valves. Actually I think its the 800 model. I cant read it anywhere on the skimmer itself so just trying to remember from when I bought it a year ago. It has two intakes on each side of the main tube. stands about 23" tall. The pump its a generic for the iwaki 40.
5002012410_eded6e9d2f_z.jpg

5002008886_8e9be5509d_z.jpg

I just put them in there a month ago. Also, the air intakes are turned upright now instead of pointing down.

thats actually the etss gemini 750...
pre 800 model...
each one of those injectors want about 1000gph...
so definately being underdriven with that pump...

but as for why it stopped producing...99% probability you have a problem with the pump... if your sure there are no obstructions from the pump all the way to the injectors.

sweet good to know! i found the problem though. It turns out it was clogged up in the intake of the pump with some cheato. What pump would you recommend for this skimmer?

Check for snails and other objects like cheato in the pump. I had a snail in mine when i shut it off for a few minutes to clean, took me forever to figure out why the bubbles were so low when i turned it back on. also running the whole thing in pure heated vinegar cleaned mine in 12 hours. Sparkly

sweet good to know! i found the problem though. It turns out it was clogged up in the intake of the pump with some cheato. What pump would you recommend for this skimmer?

Dang it feels good to guess right from time to time. Hope your back up and running soon and getting some sweet skimmage outa that thing. A clean tank is a happy tank.

Dang it feels good to guess right from time to time. Hope your back up and running soon and getting some sweet skimmage outa that thing. A clean tank is a happy tank.

yeah yeah yeah...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then! :) jk Thanks guys!

Jesse I think he just invited you over to taste test his skim mate to see just how sweet it is!

yeah yeah yeah...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then! :) jk Thanks guys!

Back