Skimmer project?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dutchschoon

Rock Crab
I found this old protein skimmer, Wanted to know if looks familiar to anyone it doesn't have any numbers or brand on it-

what am I going to need to get it running, what kind of pump? -any advise is welcome

Thats hard to tell, can you get a close up to where the water enters the unit??

Moved to skimmer forum to get you the best possible feedback. Can't say that I recognize the skimmer, but hopefully Mark (skimmerwhisperer) sees the thread and chimes in. :)

Nobody has since this before?

It has to be at least 15+ years old! (I've had it in my supplies for 10 years- and saw it in use 5 years before that- before I even know what a skimmer was)

nope, that is a "post pump venturi" not an asperating venturi...

BUT...
you could put a pinwheel pump with asperating venturi on the skimmer, and it would save you power
and give you better foam.
the limiting factor would be the skimmer's neck size and reaction chamber size,
if you tell me those 2 things i could suggest a pump that would work...

post pump just means the venturi(the air injector) is after the pump outlet,
asperating venturi means a venturi that feeds both air and water into the pumps inlet, where the impeller, a pinwheel, chops the air into fine bubbles, so a mix of air and water comes out of the pump outlet..

i was actually looking for the diameter of the tube that is used for the neck, but im going to guess that it's 2"
based on your other measurements...

so, that limits you to about 300lph of air injection...

allright, before we venture any further, i must enquire what size tank this is going on, because this is turning out to be about the same power of skimmer as i have on my 20g, and because of the shi*ty design of the posideon skimmer, it's not even anywhere as close as good... so ultimately because of the design, you might be better off putting your money elsewhere. :(

well that just bursted my bubble... I was hoping it would be enough to run in tandem w/ my crappy ass remora pro, I have been wanting to set up a 100 gallon....

but it sounds like two wrongs aren't going to make a right..

and just for learning purpose's .... "lph"??

Back