Skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

you buy this and split your return in half with a Y. 250 or so gph each way. plumb it in external and run it back to the sump. It will be a little more than the g-3.

i could do that same setup with the octopuss, right?? also, why would it only have 250g each way...i will have a mag12 or mag18

ok, say i plumb in the skimmer externally...which one will be good between the asm g3, the octopuss, and the pacific??

octopus and pacific are really the same thing. read that long thread. the pacific would be $50 -$70 more as a recirc than the asm. I havent done an ASM recirc but remember people complaining about modding them because of problems. the skimmer I posted will be very comparable in size as the g3 but already to go as a recirc. Deltect suggests to use your overflow as feed . also I dont know the cost to do a recirc asm.

Sorry forgot how big of tank it was. split it with a gate valve limiting the amount or just buy a small mj1200 or 900 to feed the skimmer.

Last edited:
the mag12 is for my return...do i need a seperate pump for the skimmer... i actually thought that the skimmer came with its own pump

basically the skimmer pump chopps the bubbles up in the skimmer and you slowly feed water in and it comes out clean.

bradreef said:
The bottom line is that any of the skimmers will do a killer job. I personally have thought the ASM construction was poor and they are ready to break with minimal impact. All of these skimmers will kill the top of the line from only 4 years ago though. The old kent's, red sea's, backpacks and so on.

yeah, were kinda splittin hairs comparing all these skimmers to each other, i'll be the first person to admit that:D they all work well, and the imported chinese skimmers are getting much better in quality, i do have a soft spot for h&s and euro reef though:rolleyes:

your right, they really do kick ass over the last generation of skimmers, thank god...

but Mark, a Bently is a nice car but for the money a s600 Benz will do the same things. Any of these skimmers you can pick will be good choices. I really am liking the idea of an external skimmer lately(more control with recirc). I have the pc fixture I won in the raffle and would love the extra room in my sump to grow frags.

i just bought an octopus200NW skimmer...i will let you guys know some feedback after i run it for a while.....also, bradreef i think you secretly work for octopus .......j/k...you could be a sales rep for them!!!!:)

ronj said:
i just bought an octopus200NW skimmer...i will let you guys know some feedback after i run it for a while.....also, bradreef i think you secretly work for octopus .......j/k...you could be a sales rep for them!!!!:)

cool!! will be watching for your results.....

do i need to submerge it in vinegar???? if so, how will i get all the vinegar off???

I'd just run it in your bath tube with some vingar. When done rinse it off and you'll be fine. I clean my power heads and pumps in vingar when they need it. Never had a problem.

Exactly, Just add enough water to your bath tube for the skimmer to sit in add some White Vingar and let it run for a day.

Back