skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johny99

Just took over a 55 gallon reef tank that the person used a surface skimmer and a cascade canister filter. Everything I read is that I need a protein skimmer. there is no sump with this system any recommendations on what kind of protein skimmer I should use? also, do i need a sump for this system?

You don't need a sump. Is it easier if you have one? IMO, yes, but it's not necessary. What do you plan on keeping for livestock, softies, LPS, SPS? If you don't plan on using a sump, using a CPR bakpak like this http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=12516130&EID=12516130&SID=FROOGLE would work. If you go with a sump, I'd go with either this skimmer http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bubble-magus-bm100-115v-60hz.html or this one http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4 Reason I say the swc 160, because it's a great skimmer and if you ever decide to upgrade to a bigger tank, you'll still be able to use it. Either way you go, get rid of the canister filter and get yourself some decent powerheads for flow.

this is what came with the tank-
fish look great and seemed relaxed. I would like to add more stuff(coral, anemones, I like blenny's.
what do you think and how big of sump should I use 10 gal

tank includes
750 Cascade canister filter
55 Gallon Sea Clear tank with hood for sale.... heater
2 Maxi Jett 600 submersible water pumps
Inline ultra violet tube
35+ pounds of live rock
10+ pounds of coral sand
1 Sea Anemone
1 Fox Face
1 Tomato Clown Fish
1 Yellow Tang
1 6 line Wraggle
1 Neon Damsle
1 Blue and Yellow Hippo
1 Ocellapis Clown fish
1 Blues Damsel

The bigger the better. Thats already a ton of fish for a 55g so i wouldn't suggest adding any more. The foxface and blue tang will outgrow that tank. For a 55g i'd try and go with a 20g long. The bubble magnus skimmers would be a good fit for that size. The atman pump or the aquabee would work fine.

If your new to the hobby read up. And not sure if you know but the foxface has poisonus spines so when your playing in the tank watch him. My two bar rabbitfish tries to stab me.......i hate that thing!

My two bar rabbitfish tries to stab me.......i hate that thing!

Really, my scribbled is pretty nice for the most part.

Johny, Luke is correct on everything he posted. That is an awful lot of fish for that size tank and it's also not a lot of live rock. Get yourself an overflow box or drill the back of the tank and setup a sump. Don't drill the bottom, it's probably tempered glass.

Really, my scribbled is pretty nice for the most part.

Johny, Luke is correct on everything he posted. That is an awful lot of fish for that size tank and it's also not a lot of live rock. Get yourself an overflow box or drill the back of the tank and setup a sump. Don't drill the bottom, it's probably tempered glass.

Yea man, i put my arm in the tank and it turns sideways and tries to fin me. If i bust out the net he's no where to be found for an hour :D Been tryin to net him for mths. He's way to smart for fish traps too. I think my next option is a mini tarpoon. :eek: Man i hate that fish!

If your new to the hobby read up. And not sure if you know but the foxface has poisonus spines so when your playing in the tank watch him. My two bar rabbitfish tries to stab me.......i hate that thing!

foxface probably needs to go, too big for the tank
thanks for the tip on the rabbitfish

Back