Skimmer Recommendation Needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

for a sump if you have the room for big do it you will love the extra water volume more water more chances of fixing an issue if one arrises. but I was going to say if your going with a 160 mines will bump it up to a 180 as you will more then likely upgrade to a bigger tank sooner or later. I beileve there is an issue with sikke pumps with the mesh wheel do the pin wheel and save yourself the headache not sure if that has been resolved yet.

Thanks for your advice. I need to look into the pump problem with the Mini-S.
Maybe Skimmerwhisper can chime in let us know what's up.

for a sump if you have the room for big do it you will love the extra water volume more water more chances of fixing an issue if one arrises. but I was going to say if your going with a 160 mines will bump it up to a 180 as you will more then likely upgrade to a bigger tank sooner or later. I beileve there is an issue with sikke pumps with the mesh wheel do the pin wheel and save yourself the headache not sure if that has been resolved yet.

yeah he will give you his 2 cents when he sees this post. I do not have a favorite skimmer I could care less as long as my display is clear I am happy. I use a vertex in 80 on a 29 gallon a little over kill but my display is clear as glass. I used turbo floater 1000 on a 160 gallon heavy stocked and the water was clear no algae issues no problems once so ever. skimmers are only as good as the pumps in my opion you can have a rock solid skimmer body and a rio pump or something along those lines then you will probly have issues or you can have a medicore skimmer body and a good pump like a askoll and you will be rocking the foam cannon. if they have the option go with an askoll pump a little bit more money but well worth it. I am not sure if the minis have this option or not.

Thanks for your advice. I need to look into the pump problem with the Mini-S.
Maybe Skimmerwhisper can chime in let us know what's up.

the mini s comes with a new harder plastic pinwheel for easy start up and a new venturi for a max of 40scfh @ 10".
you can run a mesh wheel impeller in it, but you might have start-up issues if you do, just run the pinwheel so you dont have to deal with any of that.

I'm interested in these skimmers myself,

I'm actually hoping to have a couple experienced reefers (Sherman and JNarowe) come check out my system and give me some advice this week.

excellent. I wasn't planning to mod this skimmer so it will work out good.
I will PM you later this week to get this skimmer.

Thanks for you help!!

the mini s comes with a new harder plastic pinwheel for easy start up and a new venturi for a max of 40scfh @ 10".
you can run a mesh wheel impeller in it, but you might have start-up issues if you do, just run the pinwheel so you dont have to deal with any of that.

Back