Skimmer setup..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

Hey guys..I need some help with the skimmer...it's mostly pulling up crappy looking water right now but i'd like it to be more foamy...I tried raising the collection cup and cutting off air to it..what else should I do to maximize my skimmer's ability to remove stuff?

patence

Most skimmers take a few days before they are working to their max ability.Not sure which skimmer you are talking about,but i would just let it idle low in the reaction chamber and avoid oily foods like frozen shrimp and after 48 hours see if any good foam is riseing.:doubt:

It's a sapphire aquatics biocube 29 gallon recirculating skimmer, uses the maxi jet 900

Sounds like it's a new skimmer. Give it a chance to break in. Some skimmers take a little longer to break in than others.

Yeah...I mean it's pulling crap it's just all water, I just want to get it more foamy

Is that the recommended pump size for that skimmer? I know nothing about that skimmer so don't know. Some skimmers require certain pumps or require certain fittings for certain pumps. As was mentioned above, it probably still needs it's "break in" period." It also could be being affected by any additives you've added to the water. some phosphate removers make skimmers skim real heavy. Chlorine removers do the same thing. Any time you feed, put your hands in the water, put any tools in the water, etc... your skimmer will almost immediately stop skimming properly for awhile also.

Well they changed from RIO's to maxi jets because they're much better with it so i'm guessing yes?

joker, you still dropping purpleup in your tank? that will screw with your skimmer. dont be surprised also if it takes 2 weeks before you get a nice skimmate coming out, it takes a while for any skimmer to break in properly. manufacturing materials, oils, etc are all up in there right now, and need to be processed out. How long have you had it skimming?

lol yea dude, it needs to break in for sure then. what about purple up or any other additives? you buffering or anything fancy?

From the description of the skimmer you have, I did a google search and came with the model BC29 http://wholesale.addictiveaquatics....r_for_Oceanic_BioCube_Model_BC29-2566-18.html. Is that your skimmer?

If so, the specs say that the input pump is adjustable from 30-58 GPH. The description leads me to believe that this adjustable input pump is very important for the operation of the skimmer. The MJ900 is putting out 230 GPH. Maybe that's your problem...or maybe I looked up the wrong skimmer...lol.

Oh, was typing my last post and missed the 2 posts before it. Musta been posted while I was typing. If your skimmer is only 1 day old, you've probably got no worries. Let it alone for about a week. Since it's skimming real heavy, if there's an overflow attachment, use it. Otherwise, you'll want to empty that collection cup every day. Your skimmer will probably take about a week to break in. Don't mess around with the tank any more than absolutely needed. Keep your hands out of it as much as possible. NO additives at all!!! LOL All of these things negatively effect your skimmer's action.

I've already cleaned it twice, and it says for best production keep the input pump setting in the middle...about like 40 gallons, it recirculates each gallon of water 10 times per hour

Glad to see this thread because after installing my new skimmer (ER-135)last week, I have YET to find a consistent level of foam. Either too low or too high. Driving me crazy!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Well even if it's there it doesn't change anything now lol my skinmate now is like 1/2 full of tea water and theres a layer of foam on top so I think it's breaking in

Back