Skimmer suggestion needed!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
We are looking for a skimmer for out 34 gallon solana.We thought about gutting the back but because of its location we cant do this.So,with that said,What are our options??

We are thinking the tunze 9002..Would this be a good choice?

Thanks for the input....Shane

The tunze isn't a bad skimmer. That's what I used on my Solana. It fits nice. I had to make risers for mine to set it at the correct height.
Darrell

Darrell...what did you use for the risers and how high were they..How did you have the back of your set up..Skimmer in the first or second chamber??Not sure of the measurements of these skimmers.

We finally found some live rock today.We put about 35 lbs in and filled it..Wow...its dead silent when the return pump is on..We ordered the 20" t-5 fixture and the new hydor evolution 750 power head..should be here by the end of next week...

Let the cycle begin!!!!

Mark..we are looking for internal...I was not sure if the hydor was a good skimmer or not?..Whats the best for this tank...Cause thats what we want...The best for this tank..Internal?..You tell me...

Shane, I don't think you will EVER find a skimmer to fit that Solana so just pack it back up in the box it came in and ship it to me :D. Man those tanks are sweet!!!! I want one, but Bahamian customs duty would kill me as I'd have to pay about 52% import duty on that thing plus shipping here! :eek:!! They get you one way or the other :rolleyes:. On the skimmers though, I am in the process again of setting up another tank (a friend just bought my last setup before I was able to even put water in it LOL) and was shopping around for skimmers. I kept coming back to a Tunze nano skimmer for an in-tank skimmer as I am doing another all in one, but that hydor skim Mark just posted looks pretty cool! Wonder how the two compare to each other?? Anyone know?? Mark??? :)

well, the only problem is i just read that the hydor slim skim nano wont fit in the back of the solana :(
so, i'd say the tunze 9002, or as someone else mentioned, euroreef, now reef dynamics, makes some internal skimmers...
but honestly, if it was me, i 'd be putting that aquamax hob skimmer on there instead of an internal.
or maybe just put the slim skim in the tank... and if your going to do that, i'd say get the bigger one...

Thanks for all of your input Mark...Well then the tunze is what we will do.Are there any mods that need to be done before we install it or will it do ok right out of the box?
Krish....We actually got pretty lucky with the solana as another member set us up finding it.We started looking for a bigger tank for John after he set up his 3 gallon and realized it was just to small for his liking.We posted what we were looking for and Dalberry told of us this solana he knew of,But it was in Oregon.The price was to good for us to pass up so we made a road trip and picked it up...Over the last 2 weeks we started looking for our components to get it running.We have got all we need but the skimmer.It seems many others out there run the saphire skimmers but the have since gone out of buisness.Mark has Always helped me out and never has he been wrong with his suggestions...It looks like the reef frontiers community has really assisted in setting up another tank!!!!!

Shane,
I just cut like 2" diameter pvc to the heighth I needed and used that for risers. It's cheap, Reef safe, and worked well. As for which skimmer check out this website. Tons of info on nano's and a great place to find a used nano skimmer. (** Mods I hope it's okay to post other website's)
Nano-Reef.com Forums
Also if you were to go with the Tunze skimmer I would modify the air intake. I bought a better air valve for mine as the factory one is a pain to get to in the Solana. I think I still have spare air valves if you need one.

Darrell

Back