Skimmer suggestion please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sureshg

Folks,

I would like to get a new skimmer for my 90G Reef tank.

Budget : upto $500

Could you kindly suggest me couple of good choices please?

Thanks,
Suresh

Welcome to RF!! :) As for skimmer choices, I'd look into Euroreef, Octopus and ASM as my 3 top choices. Good luck!:)

Thanks for the information. In one of the other threads, people were talking about ATI BM160 as one of the phenominal choice. :)

What do u think about it?

bubblemasters are thw woop ass in skimmers. Krish probably didn't mention it because you quoted a $500 budget. The bm160 runs around $600 and i think that is without the pump.
By all means if it's in your budget....get it!:)

Great, Thank you.

Then I am getting ATI BM 160.

I found it to be available for $459 at DIY Reef and Reef King.

Would have to check if it comes with the pump or not though.

the ati bm 160 is a great skimmer, awesome performer, but the pump does have start up issues, and it's a bitch to get it out of the skimmer body all the time to make it work right, but works great once you get it going...probably the best bang for your buck.

i would also look at a euroreef rs180, the tunze 9010, the DAS ex-2, all would be great for your 90g and are under $500

In hushed tone.........The skimmerwhisperer has spoken!:):)

Last edited:
skimerwhisperer,

Does the BM 200 has the same issue with the pump?. Or the pump is external?.

What do u think of it?. I see that it is available for just for 90 bukcs more at $549.

the 200 doesnt have anywhere near the startup issues, just because of the design of the body and the pump is on the outside,... easy to pop on and off the skimmer body.
and if needed(most of the time not needed)usually a minor trimming of the mesh will fix most startup issues.
get a 200 quick though, because i think the only ones left are the ones that stores have in stock. otherwise you will have to wait a while, they too are being redesigned.

Whis! your right! i just love mine, i do have to remember i got lots more water volume. I was looking into maybe purchasing an h-s unit there almost the same thing but less $$$.

Octopus....the NW and recircs kick some booty. I have a NW150 on my 55 and it works fabulous. It was totally plug and play with hardly any "break in time". Even better....you get more bang for your buck!

Good luck.

Kris

I agree, I have a octopus rps-2000 same as the recirc-150 on my 90 and love it. :D
Plus its only $269 at octopusskimmer.com

Octopus....the NW and recircs kick some booty. I have a NW150 on my 55 and it works fabulous. It was totally plug and play with hardly any "break in time". Even better....you get more bang for your buck!

Good luck.

Kris

Last edited:
ati bm....I am going to check it out. I know nothing. Eventually I will have a 180 long. Please help me.
Thank you in advance.

I did about 2 months worth of research before buying. I found that any of the Octopus models were the cheapest and modeled nearly exact to the ASM. There are so many out there (trust me). Go with a size that is rated higher for you tank. For instance, I have 55 gal display and 22 gal sump...75 gallons total. My NW150 (Octopus) is rated for 90-120 gallons. You will not be dissatisfied with this skimmer. Everyone that has posted that owns it, loves it. The recirculating model is a little more expensive, but on a bigger tank may prove to be a better choice.

I did not (and still don't) have a lot of money to drop into this hobby. Everything I buy or bought in the past was after extensive research and price matching. As I said before, this skimmer will give you more bang for your buck.

Good luck.

Kris

octopus skimmers are cheap chinese crap, and they are mediocre nw skimmers unless you mesh mod them.
the pumps have a very high failure rate and they have actually changed the motor inside the pump for an even less powerful one, so now the new pumps arent even as good for modding as the old one.
the metric undersized plumbing also makes it a poor choice for modding unless you plan on cutting new holes with new plumbing

if you buy the cheapest skimmer you can find, dont expect it to work well for several years.
instead you would be much better off spending the extra +$100 for the euroreef model that the octo is trying to rip off anyway.

granted, they are pretty good when modified, they will "perform" amost as good as the euro reef skimmers, and the pumps are fairly inexpensive if you must replace them, but the euroreefs are much better.
and ASM?...they might as well be made out of uncooked pasta.

Last edited:
Back