skimmer upgrade?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

thinking of changing my aqua c skimmer to something better, any ideas, i have a cl system, thats why the hob aqu c, but i can add anything....

? i do have a sump that i have been wanting to put into use, could i use the sump just for the heater and a better skimmer, and thats all,or is that a waste of a sump

No that isn't a waste it will work fine that is one of the benefits of haveing a sump is to hide the equipment. Why don't you tell us a little about your tank like what size it is what size the sump is and how large the section is that you are planning on putting your skimmer. So it sounds like you aren't even using the sump right now is your tank drilled or reef ready?

Brian

i have had sw tanks for awhile, but this tank has been bb for about 4 years, with only a two pump cl setup for water movement, and the aqua c as a skimmer, no sump...still after all this time iam still battleing green algea on a few of the rocks...i have lr, tang, box fish, sponge, and a small roick of shrooms, all doing well for along time now, neww addition was a 150 m/h two atinic blue h/q set up on a timer 12hr, blues on 1/2hr before the m/h and 1/2 off after..its a 48 gal diamond shaped tank corner tank..

No that isn't a waste it will work fine that is one of the benefits of haveing a sump is to hide the equipment. Why don't you tell us a little about your tank like what size it is what size the sump is and how large the section is that you are planning on putting your skimmer. So it sounds like you aren't even using the sump right now is your tank drilled or reef ready?

Brian
ok then, can you have just a box like set up to fit a chosen skimmer and thats it...

Here is a good website to help you understand how a sump works it really helped me out when I was setting one up. You could have just an empty tank but it would probably be better to atleast have a bubble trap so the skimmer doesn't send a lot of micro bubbles into your tank.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

well first, since it's a corner tank with odd dim's, and potentially an odd sump, measure the area you have to accomodate a skimmer and post it,
then I can suggest something that will fit.
most likely the new SWC 120 cone will fit, and it's only $199,
it measures 7.25x6x18

199$ skimmer very expensive .....

try needle pin skimmer specially made for octopus....

check out thatfishplace.com

well first, since it's a corner tank with odd dim's, and potentially an odd sump, measure the area you have to accomodate a skimmer and post it,
then I can suggest something that will fit.
most likely the new SWC 120 cone will fit, and it's only $199,
it measures 7.25x6x18
The sump i have is 10x22x16 deep 1st champer is 7 1/4 x 9 7/8 the middle is 10 1/2 x 9 7/8 last is 4 x 9 7/8 with a baffle...

199$ skimmer very expensive .....

try needle pin skimmer specially made for octopus....

check out thatfishplace.com

wrong my friend....not very expensive at all for a cone skimmer that gets 300lph air injection.
the skimmer you mention is only $40 less than the SWC 160 cone, is a regular cylinder shaped body,
has a less powerful pump that injects less air, doesnt have a gate valve, and has a larger footprint.

Back