skimmer waste tank question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i agree both ways work it is all personal prefference, ichthys way works, as for my setup my skimmer is not in my sump as i dont have the room for it, so it is outside and a pumpflows out and back to the middle portion of my sump, and either way you can still have a failure and water all over the floor, not so long ago i had a hose clamp break and pumped about five gallons or so on the floor, had nothing to do with the skimmer. some pumps are pretty powerful and push water in a solid stream right out of your sump.

on another note, Do Not make it water tight inside your collection cup, as it will create a vacuum block and wont work, it has to work as a siphon effect

Why not put the skimmer on a couple feet and raise it up a few inches to get the plug over the top? Or, it looks like it's an acrylic sump, put in a bulkhead to run the line through?

If you're not into DIYing a solution with a float switch, Avast marine makes a skimmate locker that has an air pressure based overflow switch that will flip a relay and shut off the skimmer, you don't need a controller and you won't get water on the floor. You also don't have to worry about the skimmer gunk jamming up a float switch. :) Having it on a controller is nice though, the controller sends an email and starts beeping in the middle of the day, and my wife empties the locker to stop the beeping, it's a really nice setup. :) I have a swabbie neck cleaner too, so I only need to take it apart and clean it all monthly, and the weekly locker empties are fully automated (from my perspective).

Why not put the skimmer on a couple feet and raise it up a few inches to get the plug over the top? Or, it looks like it's an acrylic sump, put in a bulkhead to run the line through?

If you're not into DIYing a solution with a float switch, Avast marine makes a skimmate locker that has an air pressure based overflow switch that will flip a relay and shut off the skimmer, you don't need a controller and you won't get water on the floor. You also don't have to worry about the skimmer gunk jamming up a float switch. :) Having it on a controller is nice though, the controller sends an email and starts beeping in the middle of the day, and my wife empties the locker to stop the beeping, it's a really nice setup. :) I have a swabbie neck cleaner too, so I only need to take it apart and clean it all monthly, and the weekly locker empties are fully automated (from my perspective).

Just looked this up
Pretty slick

AVAST Marine Works - Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker - Product Details

mfinn, i lie the automation you have going there, my wife tells me, its your tank you clean it, so i would have to find different automation program......come to think about it...KIIIDDDDSSSS...LOL

mfinn, i lie the automation you have going there, my wife tells me, its your tank you clean it, so i would have to find different automation program......come to think about it...KIIIDDDDSSSS...LOL

just a link to the product garydan talked about

Back