skimmer ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i have been running my new aquac remora, with a surface skimmer box, lees than a week, and iam pulling a full cup of nasty smelly green junk. i know i can set it to pull dry, not sure witch to be doing...

I prefer to run my skimmate really wet, especially with a BB tank....it helps to remove all those organics. Here is a previous poll showing what folks are doing, and there is some really good discussion: Wet vs. Dry Skimmate

well it has been 6 hours sence i last dump my cup. and its full again, nasty green water, is this normal.....thinking of seting it to do half wet and half dry, unless its doing whats is suppose to do.

The more junk the better IMO. It means your skimmer is working. It should help out great with cutting down the algae problem.

so keep it running wet?with no dry

That's really entirely up to you. I like it wet, but that doesn't mean it's the best way or should I say, the only way. Just my personal preference...

Are you putting any additives into the water? Just curious. How dark is the skimmate? If you are concerned about the cup overflowing, then go ahead and make the skimmate a little more dry. Its great that it is pulling so much gunk out. After blasting off the live rock, your skimmer is probably pulling alot of the nasties out of the water. There's something good about smelling really rank skimmate :)....you know the skimmer is doing its job.

no additives this time around, if i cant test for it iam not adding it.. it a light green in color..i set it for half and half, its producing white foam

You'll notice the skimmate will be on the thicker side, and probably a little darker after making the change. The hard/dry foam will slowly break as it sits in the collection cup.

This discussion raised a question for me...what's the difference between wet and dry other then the water? With my understanding of the way a skimmer works, if you're getting a dry foam, wouldn't all of the 'stuff' that attaches to the bubbles stay on top and be pushed into the cup regardless of how much water was in the cup? I can see how the 'stuff' would get into the cup slower without the extra water, but wouldn't the same stuff end up in the cup in the end?

daytonaconnecti
How are you getting a full cup from your Remora. I have had mine for 3 months and can't get squat.

What are you doing that I am not. I have the skimmer box as well and still no go. I have tried the cup all the way down all the way, inbetween you name it and still squat. Maybe a 1/4 inch of stuff in 3 days.

Any help would be very nice. I don't want to spend almost $500.00 on the Deltec.

Regards,

Pat

well i just switched from a 4 year old cc to a bb set up, the remora i put in a mj1200 pump,its been going less than a week with the cup down i have dumped it twice, its now up a little and iam getting all whit foam,iam just trying to find out witch to run wet or dry....

Pat, do you use any additives, or feed alot? When I feed cyclopeeze, the skimmer stops making any type of foam, and any time oils from hands and arms get in the tank it stops producing, as well....and I have a big skimmer for my tank. I don't think I've heard of a Remora not producing anything, that's why I'm trying to figure out if there is something else going on. What size tank, livestock, etc?

this is what steve at aqua c said,If you are pulling out more water than you'd like, I would raise the cup to collect a drier foam. It sounds like you are removing lots of wastes, but maybe more diluted than you'd like. I prefer collecting a slightly wet foam, which will collect a bit more waste without removing a lot of water. Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

ever sence i put my remora into opperation, my skilter, filter/skimmer hasnt produce anything at all, could it be that the remora is just keeping up with the load, i was thinking that both would work, other than the filter part of the skilter, iam thinking maybe i dont even need it at all....

Back