skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
ok i have had this skimmer for about a year or may be longer :p .
At first my husband used to say that it was making to many bubbles, nowdays he says it doesn't work and he doens't know why :lol: and that i should throw it in the garbage (as you can see its still here:D).
I just wanna know if there's any way i can find out if it works or if i should toss it in the garbage or give it as a donation to someone with skills that could make something different out of it.
how can i plug it in ? :oops: (krish plug it in plug it in ...:lol:) or what can i fix? as you can see i have no clue on even how to put this thing to work since it didn't come with instructions.

img00600yj.jpg

img00627ul.jpg

That looks like one of those HP skimmers(human powered)! All you do is add a tube to it and blow(LOL) I have no idea Gabbs...Never seen one like it before. Maybe someone else might now. BTW, how in the world do you figure you are new to reefkeeping with over 4,000 posts?:lol:

That looks like one of those HP skimmers(human powered)! All you do is add a tube to it and blow(LOL) I have no idea Gabbs...Never seen one like it before. Maybe someone else might now. BTW, how in the world do you figure you are new to reefkeeping with over 4,000 posts?

LMBO!!!! shhhh dood we're suppose to be experts by 4000 :lol: .
If you have no clue you can imagine how i feel that i've been keeping it in my closet like if it was gold but wihout being able to use it because i have no freaking clue :p.

Someone will know...If you don't find out anything by tomorrow I'll surf a bit and see if I can find anything.:)

go to www.proclearaquatics.com
It looks like a old version of thier skimmer mg 250 or 350
It looks like its missing some pieces. Maybe they can hook you up.
If not it looks like you would hook a needle wheel pump up to the top open inlet, and a drain making a upwards J shape to set the water level on the bottom outlet hole.
Hope that helps some.

it was suppose to come with a pump ??:p.
well i know my husband bought different pump or i don't knwo, i asked him and he doens't have a clue on anything :doubt:
here is a picture of the pumps that i have (i don't know if they're broken either :lol: )ohh yeah and i think the tube came with one of them :p
the one on the right says 60w and the one on the left says 43 w and well the tube seems to feet to both of them

Last edited:
Ok Gaby Can you open them up and look at the impellers?
Neither one of them look right, but I am just guessing here. I dont know for sure.
The impellers in the pumps. If one is a needle wheel it would be the one.
A needle wheel looks like a porcupine pancake, instead of the normal impeller that looks like a paddle wheel with blades.

Thanks Steve :) .
The Store that sold me the skimmer sold it to us just like this and the guy didn't say anything about missing pieces otherwise for sure he would have bought them.
The skimmer only worked for 4 months so it's not even that beat up, the only thing is that it wouldn't make to much skimmate

Ok sorry Gaby its a venturi driven skimmer. If its what it looks like anyway. Sorry about that.
Compare this pic. and see if the designs look pretty close.

it kind of looks close to what i have with the difference that mine doesn't have that type of thingy that does the bubbles and it has a little green tuve inside that sticks out a tini little bit out of the skimmer ohh and mine (used to have) a little tuve where the skimmate would come out

ohh yeah i'm sorry i don't know how to open the pump (this is so embarrasing :p) good thing i'm posting in the new to the hobby forum :D .
here's the bottom of the pumps

i wonder if there's such a thing as how to make a skimmer work for dummies :lol:

Yeah I think yours is a old design of the same skimmer. If you can find the venturi, make sure its clean, and supply it with water, replace the airline going to the venturi with clean new airline, and make something to set the water level inside the skimmer like the picture of the new one it will work. I dont know how well. I am kinda spoiled by the asm needle wheel kind. I like them alot. Tons o bubbles.
Oh and hey Tuve is spelled Tube. LOL

Yeah they have that Skimmers for dummies. Its in all the stores now. Havent you seen it? I mean I just triped over a stack of them at the grocery earlier today. LOL

If you can find the venturi, make sure its clean, and supply it with water, replace the airline going to the venturi with clean new airline, and make something to set the water level inside the skimmer like the picture of the new one it will work

what's a venturi dood?
I wish English was my first language :p but what do you mean replace the airline going to the venturi?
and after i got what i need how do i plug it? where does the tube go?
I'd be very happy if it can work at least for the moment hehe .

Oh and hey Tuve is spelled Tube. LOL

LOL !!!! you too ??? :lol:

Yeah they have that Skimmers for dummies. Its in all the stores now. Havent you seen it? I mean I just triped over a stack of them at the grocery earlier today. LOL

hmm in that case i'm so gonna get 2 of them :D .
1 for reading and the other one for just in case.

The catalina pump is a type of venturi( using the term losely) air inlet pump.
The air is sucked in by putting a air line on one of the little plastic nipples on the bottom of the pump and the air is chopped up by the impeller.

If you only have the one tube with the skimmer, it looks like the outflow tube that regulates the water height in the skimmer is missing.

That is venturi driven and those powerheads look a bit used. You will have to clean them up a bit put them back together and see of they work. If you have other powerheads you can hook them to the skimmer with clear hose and see how they perform with the venturi. You will have to rig some pipe with a valve off the lower outlet to adjust the level in the skimmer. It will prolly still work with a bit of cleaning and TLC. FWIW I personally (depending on size) would modify it and put a sedra needlewheel pump on it and if you decide to toss it I will send you my address where it should be tossed.
below are your pumps and full skimmer pics for reconstruction

CA- 1800 Aqua Pump 650 GPH $29.00
CA- 2200 Aqua Pump 800 GPH $27.50
from http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/htm/aprod_capumps.htm

http://www.aquatic-marvels.com/ProteinSkimmers.html
For 150 Gal Tank This is a very nice skimmer. Made by Aqua Clear. In sump or beside sump operation, plug in and go, venturi driven. Spiral air-water movement inside skimmer for counter-current that promotes maxims air-water contact time. Removable collection cup with remote drain .

finn said:
If you only have the one tube with the skimmer, it looks like the outflow tube that regulates the water height in the skimmer is missing.

guess that was already covered in post #6:oops:

Back