skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

a perfect skimmer for modification!!
so, if it's 32" tall and 8" diameter, then i'd say it's close enough in size to a euroreef cs8-3 (or cs250 by the new model #'s)to emulate that pump size. here's the specks on the most closely related euro, the cs250

Rated for aquarium systems of +/- 250 gallons with a medium bioload
Footprint/ sump space required for skimmer: 9" x 22"
Height: 30"
Reaction chamber diameter: 8 "
Reaction chamber volume: 4.08 gallons
Inlet sizes: 3/4 "
Outlet size: 1.25"
Pumps (included): SP5- Euro-Reef modified GEN-X 6000 water pump
Pump power consumption: 60 Watts @ 115/120 VAC 60hz
Air intake: 1200 lph

so first we would have to make sure your outlet is large enough, from the looks of your skimmer (kinda hard to tell) it looks like the inlet is 1/2" and the outlet is 1", is that correct? if so , we gotta enlarge that puppy, first thing im thinking is drill press...

same goes for the existing pump inlet hole, it will have to be made into a 3/4" hole(1" to accomodate a 3/4" uniseal i think, i'll check). and if you plan on going recirculating, then another freshie hole for the pump intake.

then is the matter of which pump, you might want to wait until euroreef releases their new modified nw eheim pumps, and either get one of them, or one of the hundreds of sedra 9000's that people will be selling as they upgrade to the new eheim. the fact that they modify gen-x pumps now kinda scares me, but i know they are quiet and work much better with the euroreef needle wheel, volute, and venturi combo. so you might consider using the euroreef modified gen-x 4100 or 6000.
another option is to use a threadwheel eheim pump that the german ati skimmers use, here's the specs:

1. Thread wheel instead of needle wheel
A goal of each skimer should be it of producing as much as possible smallest Microblasen.

Because the smaller the blisters are, the more largely are the surface or boundary surface between air and water and the more largely are the surface on dennen themselves e.g. organic compounds to deposit can. So far for this often so-called needle wheels were used quite successfully, which smashed the sucked in air/water mixture with your 2-3mm thick pins.

In order to be able to produce fine blisters, either the number of revolutions of the pumps would have to be increased, or which air/water mixture by a finer structure will smash. Since a higher number of revolutions means more complex, more cost-intensively and for the quiet enterprise a grössre challenge, we umgeschaut ourselves after a more suitable material for the blister production.

To many longer test phases, now a Nylonflies is used, which cuts with its substantially finer structure (thin nylon threads with 0.5 mm in diameter instead of 2-3mm of pins with needle wheels) the air/water mixture sucked in before the pump when 3000 revolutions per minute proper. Thereby a very homogeneous quantity of finest Microblasen is produced. Gleichzeitg was obtained by the small mass a high quiet running.

2. Improved pump construction

The construction of the Eheim 1260 was completely revised and optimized on your new task as Dispergatorpumpe. In the result one comes in such a way on the following results.
The facts:
1. sensational after-measurable 2000 l/h air achievement with straight once 49 Watts power input. Realized with a Eheim 1260.

so, that threadwheel would be a sweet pump for your skimmer too!!

what is this thing going to be skimming by the way?:)

and here's a pic of the threadwheel, i've posted it before, somewhere....

Last edited:
OOPS my bad. The main chamber is 8" I.D. to the top flange is 18 1/2" , the center neck is 6" long 4" I.D. Overall 26 1/2" to the top of the cup lid. The Pump outlet is 3/4" & the gate valve & outlet is 1 1/4"! It originally was supplied by a gen-x 1000. I can wait for the pump, when ER comes out with the new modified Eheim, I have time before I actually need the skimmer, I can use the Gen-X for now. So with that information lets make a better skimmer. Let's start with the outlet of the skimmer & lets think recirc mods. I need to take what I have & get the plumbing I need to makes whatever changes necessary.

is your gate valve glued to that slotted outlet? if not then you can use it for your external durso standpipe. if your outlet is already 1 1/4" then i'd say that's plenty big enough as long as you stick with a 900-1000gph needlewheel pump.(the new eheim is 1000gph i think).
i'd probably hold off on drilling any holes for the recirc. mod yet until you get the pump in your hot little hand:)

Why would I not need the gate on the skimmer?

My Stock pipe will be 1 1/2"! Then What I need to do is wait until I can get the New Pump in right?

Is the threadwheel pumps avail now? If so where could you obtain the beasties? Have Skimmerstein running on a sedra 5000 but could easily handle a 9000 but if the threadwheels are better I can wait!

I have some photos of skimmerstein in my gallery
<---

Last edited:
Bet the air line to the venturi clogged

That would account for it working for 4 months before quit making bubbles
Mike
Oldtimer but newby here :>)

brianblack said:
Is the threadwheel pumps avail now? If so where could you obtain the beasties? Have Skimmerstein running on a sedra 5000 but could easily handle a 9000 but if the threadwheels are better I can wait!

they sell them on this website, they used to be on the front page, but they moved them(i couldnt find them!!) if you drop them an email, im sure they stock them.
i think there are a couple different sizes, not sure

www.aquapro2000.de/

Herefishyfishy said:
That would account for it working for 4 months before quit making bubbles
Mike
Oldtimer but newby here :>)
Yes my sea clown I mean sea clone clogs seemingly frequently. It was my first skimmer - was good for what it was used for and still use it.

Thanks for the pump info - I will let you know what they say or have!

Scooterman said:
Why would I not need the gate on the skimmer?

My Stock pipe will be 1 1/2"! Then What I need to do is wait until I can get the New Pump in right?

you'll definately be needing the gate valve, that's why i was asking if it had anything glued into it:)

if your existing output is already 1 1/4" then i think thats big enough, we can leave it alone instead of going to the hassle of changing it to 1 1/2"

are you sure the pump is a gen-x 1000, or is it a pump that is 1000gph, because the gen x 1000 is a 265gph pump which of coarse is too small for a 8" x 26" skimmer...

overall i do like the design of the mad dog knock off:)

It is a GX-4100 liters per hour, 4100 liter = 1083.105 410 09 gallon [US, liquid]
BTW I have two of these which I won't need after I get a the new one, so best offers I'll ship at whomever cost. If anyone wants one of these or both later.They may be quieter as a regular pump. Neither pump ran longer than a month, might need a little cleaning in vinegar.

This the venturi part. Might be dirty or something stuck in it or even crusty. If you can take it apart and bath it in light acid (ahhhh.....vinegar? very safe!). If you cannot then try running vinegar in it.

have fun (cleaning !!!!!)

venturi.jpg

skimerwhisperer said:
would you say that the 4100 nw makes good foam? and does the noise come from the venturi sucking or the pump vibrating....

I would honestly say it made decent foam but not enough for my particular skimmer. I'd say the high air suction made all the noise & if you tried to clamp it down it wold hurt the bubble count severely, so my conclusion & this is with both pumps if you didn't have the air rushing in wide open you weren't going to get good micro-bubbles, not in my 8" dia. skimmer anyways, I think this pump would blow the roof off a 6" dia. skimmer & you could quieten it some with the screw pinch on the incoming air. Now as far as the pump itself, when I closed the air off completely, I'd say it still was the loudest submersible pump I've ever had & I had a few but again that was with the needle wheel, it might of been slightly quieter with an impeller. That is my take on two new GX-4100's, one last thing, each pump has a metal plate that is exposed to the sw, if you remove the back cover from the pump, you will see what looks like a steel plate protruding through the epoxy sealed electric motor, this thing does rust some, not good I called & complained about that with negative results but the was the supplier not the manufacturer. That is my story & I might not stick to it:)

reiple said:
This the venturi part. Might be dirty or something stuck in it or even crusty. If you can take it apart and bath it in light acid (ahhhh.....vinegar? very safe!). If you cannot then try running vinegar in it.
have fun (cleaning !!!!!)

too late, ive already taken the pos out and destroyed it for the good of all mankind:badgrin:
but yes, as i said, there was debris stuck in the venturi;)

Scooterman said:
one last thing, each pump has a metal plate that is exposed to the sw, if you remove the back cover from the pump, you will see what looks like a steel plate protruding through the epoxy sealed electric motor, this thing does rust some

oh yeah, i've seen many of the rusty ones...im glad they changed their design finally, otherwise i dont think euroreef would have started using them.

Back