skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crxman

a friend of mine wants to sell me a skimmer he said its a turbo floater (the big one) last time i talked to him he said he would sell it to me for $40 with the pump. what do you guys think about it?

For $40 it is a good deal. But the question is is it large enough for your tank? What size of a tank are you putting it on? The TF is a good skimmer, but it is not very large to be honest. I would say it is good for up to about 75 gallons or so at the top end.

Kim

dont skimp on some crappy skimmer...
im all for saving a buck in this otherwise expensive hobby but,
the skimmer should be the piece of equipment you spend the MOST on, not the least...

May be ok for smaller tanks. I have mine on 180 gals and i don't want mine anymore either:doubt: Gonna be replacing it next week with a powerhouse, just have not decided which one

It is a lot better skimmer than the prizm. What size of a tank is this going on? I will still say it is a good skimmer for the price, but as the skimmerwisper says, skimping on a skimmer is not a good idea. If your tank is 75 gallons or less it should be OK, not great, 50 gallons or less and it will be fine. You could get the skimmer at that price and keep saving up for a better skimmer if your tank is larger, and then resale the TF for the same money you paid for it.

Kim

so you guys think i should go ahead and get it he added some piping to it so it can be used in a sump but i dont think theres anyway for it to go in the first part of the refugium i know i can get it in the last section

well hell, anything is better than a prism...
with the tf everything depends on which pump is powering it...
if it's the model with a german aquabee pump then i say yes, go for it,
but any way you slice it you'll be throwing good money after bad though, because it sounds like you'll be upgrading anyway.
you should just look at an octopus skimmer if you want a cheaper one that will work well, you'd spend about $150-$200, then you can mod them to double the power. that would be 2-3 times the skimmer of the tf.

That is not a bad skimmer it is not great I would say it works pretty well for tanks up to around 75 gallons, and that is a great price for it. The pump goes for more than that normally.

Kim

Back