Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

So I am not happy with my skimmer....Aqua -C remora run with a mag 3.... I do get skim from this sucker but i'm wanting more. I purchased a Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 150, but i don't want to redo my setup. Can you guy's give me a few recommendation on skimmers with small footprints (10*8 or smaller) also quit operation is a plus.

Thanks

So I am not happy with my skimmer....Aqua -C remora run with a mag 3.... I do get skim from this sucker but i'm wanting more. I purchased a Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 150, but i don't want to redo my setup. Can you guy's give me a few recommendation on skimmers with small footprints (10*8 or smaller) also quit operation is a plus.

Thanks

ASM Mini G

Can you guy's give me a few recommendation on skimmers with small footprints (10*8 or smaller) also quit operation is a plus.
Thanks

mkay, so 30g sps, witrh a 10x8 space to accomodate a skimmer...
as far as im concerned this is singularly the best choice:
it fits all your requirements, is more powerful than other skimmers in it's class/cost, is cheap, and has excellent design features from the big boy skimmers.
it comes with a needlewheel impellar that gets 800 lph of air that can be mesh modded to get 1200 lph if you ever moved to a bigger tank

http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=2

Last edited:
So I am about to click order on the CNC but i have one concern..... how loud will this skimmer be compare to my remora? (it is the bed room and have been told it is as loud as will be tolerated)

Got the NW-150 For cheap so I went with that.....Should be good on my little set up. Should I modd this?

Last edited:
Hey Skimmy! I am kinda interested in this skimmer. I am setting up a 60 gallon cube, 20 gallon sump sps heavy tank. If I modded this thing ........would it be ALL good??

Got the NW-150 For cheap so I went with that.....Should be good on my little set up. Should I modd this?

is it a newer or older nw-150, ie; does it have the new improved venturi and oversized pump outlets, or is it full on old style?

if it's old style then it definately needs to be modded.

mod the volute into a new venturi
mesh mod the impellar
and boar out the plumbing elbow attaching the pump to the skimmer body.

you'll more than double the skimmers performance if you can manage those things.
check this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=898776&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
the thread is only like 120 pages long worth of octo owners mods...:)

So this is the skimmer I have. I am very disappointed.... thinking I should have just purchased the one you said to. I set this one up on Monday. I have YET to get one drop of skim. I now had the raiser bar set at it's highest level for about 24 hour still nothing. Think I have a chance at getting Precision Marine to let me upgrade to the msx?

octopusnwmed.jpg

Oh my lord...I am so very annoyed.... as I am looking at the picture in the last post the funnel plate in the middle was upside down in mine....(i got one fresh out of the box) problem solved.......going to go punch a wall.....

Back