Skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slim_jim989

Lion in the cave
Hey there I have a 12 gal aquapod and it came with a fission style skimmer that I never saw anything from. Was wondering what all people have done instead of the stock skimmer. I saw a small skimmer on marinedepot before but not sure if I can make it work any input would be good. Or I might try going skimmerless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks sid just googled it and went onto nano tuners read up on it but it's still in presale phase haha

+1 on the Sapphire. I run one on my NC 12Dx ,and it works pretty well...and fits like a glove under the canopy. Also +1 for Nanotuners...great folks to deal with. I've bought two tanks from them so far.

Yeah I was looking at premium aquatics for the skimmer gonna be buying it soon lol paying as much for the skimmer as I did the tank haha. How is the collection cup on it.

Yeah I was looking at premium aquatics for the skimmer gonna be buying it soon lol paying as much for the skimmer as I did the tank haha. How is the collection cup on it.

lol...yeah. Don't feel bad...I just bought a Warner Marine H1 HOB for an 11 gallon tank and it was 5x the cost of the tank!

I didn't see the Sapphire for the AP12 on the premiuim aquatics site...I may have missed it. What exactly are you wanting to know about the cup? Size? In my 12DX I had to work a bit to strike a balance on water level that would work for the skimmer, and be high enought for the return pump. I kept flooding the cup. Now that I've got is straighted out, I'm finding the skimmate to be fairly light...but then I only have a bio load of two small fish and a few inverts.

Well they don't make it for the AP I would use the same one u have but just measure and see if it fits in there right and I can still adjust the water level not sure. I don't plan on many fish just some Lps and mushrooms

Well they don't make it for the AP I would use the same one u have but just measure and see if it fits in there right and I can still adjust the water level not sure. I don't plan on many fish just some Lps and mushrooms

Probably a good idea to give Sapphire a call...I think I have their number at the office and can send it tomorrow. I'd think if the NC12 skimmer fit in the AP12 they'd market and sell it for that too. But I wouldn't take my word for it.

Yeah I'll look for there number tonight and call them tmr to see what they recondmend.

I had a HOB remora on my 12 gal aquapod for the longest time! I didn't have the stock hood (I had a MH fixture instead). It worked great! Yes, it is larger than the nano skimmers, but I could hardly see it from the front and being oversized, it did a great job of skimming!!

Yeah I'll look for there number tonight and call them tmr to see what they recondmend.

I had a HOB remora on my 12 gal aquapod for the longest time! I didn't have the stock hood (I had a MH fixture instead). It worked great! Yes, it is larger than the nano skimmers, but I could hardly see it from the front and being oversized, it did a great job of skimming!!

that's actually about all that skimmer can handle, :)

but yes, getting a regular hob skimmer and then doing different lighting than the stock hood is the way to go with the ap12g.
then i would say just scoop up someone's used bakpak, mesh mod it and your good.

also, this light would be perfect for an ap12g:
http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54241

That's a really nice light fixture at aquatraders! I'd never seen it before. You could grow anything in your nano with that!

that's actually about all that skimmer can handle, :)

but yes, getting a regular hob skimmer and then doing different lighting than the stock hood is the way to go with the ap12g.
then i would say just scoop up someone's used bakpak, mesh mod it and your good.

also, this light would be perfect for an ap12g:
http://shop.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=54241

No i'm talking the physical design of the two sided MH bulb, the side are designed diffrently than typical MH two sided light bulb.

Back