Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
Feedback please on ETSS Superskimmer... any comments? I got one running & wanted to know what people know about them.

Thanks!

Also - had my glass heater blow up last night... looking for a titanium ASAP if anyone has one :)

Feedback please on ETSS Superskimmer... any comments? I got one running & wanted to know what people know about them.

Thanks!

Also - had my glass heater blow up last night... looking for a titanium ASAP if anyone has one :)

Environmental Tower Super Skimmer... Which one did you get? I have the 150 and it's okay. Nothing special.

a fairly mediocre skimmer to be certain...
some work better than others and they have many models...
it would help if I knew what model you had...
can you take a pic??

anyway...
despite which model you have there are a couple things you need to do to get these skimmers working properly;

first get some lee's diamond shape bioballs to replace the ones you have now in the injector
leebioball.jpg

second, get yourself a valve to control the air injection:
http://www.aquacave.com/barbed-aquatic-ball-valvesbr-by-two-little-fishes-462.html

third you must "overdrive" the injector, so this means a bigger pump most likely...
I need to know exactly what pump you have on there now,
and which model skimmer it is to tell you exactly which pump to get.
most likely it will be a 900-1200gph pump.

Thanks!

put a beckett injector in there and isolate it with a acrylic tube....put a air adjustment valve and your good!!!!

waaay too much power consumption...
you would need a 2000gph pressure pump to get 40scfh...just not worth it really when a 25w pin/mesh wheel pump will do the same thing.
you should sell it and evole into the 21st century before you mod it with a beckett. :)

and BTW, welcome to RF troylee....
you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting a beckett when your so good at making cone skimmers!!!
you ARE going to do a thread here on your cone build ARENT you!!!
;)

It is the ETSS AE Tech Reef Devil. I do not have a big enough pump on it now. I am looking for a better one. I do not think it takes the bioballs... I could be wrong? I really do not know. I am looking for a better skimmer, used & some better pumps both for the skimmer & my return.

and BTW, welcome to RF troylee....
you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting a beckett when your so good at making cone skimmers!!!
you ARE going to do a thread here on your cone build ARENT you!!!
;)
the trend i see nowa days is people are'nt concerened about power consumption they just want it to work, no matter what it takes...
me making cone skimmers???nah lol.. i just love to play..:)

"edit"
i myself look for energy savings projects.."hence my atb powered tank" all my pumps combined skimmer return phs etc only use 113watts combined...
my lights are the killer but a full blown led display is in the works..;)

Last edited:
juizy what size tank you got??? there is plenty of skimmers out there that are actually good... price wars have begun and so has china manufacturing they come cheap now... whats your tank specs???

Rachael I have some bio balls in a tub I can give you no problem. I might even switch with you as you will put this other one to better use then I am all I need a skimmer for is my live rock curing. I can use that one I have one that Troylee built for my 240 and 100 systems. so a smaller one I will not need. other then live rock my qt tanks will have a bigger skimmer which I will have Lee make me also.

wow...
I wouldnt wish a vertex w/RESUN pump on my worst enemy...known throughout Asia and Europe as one of the WORST PUMPS on the market....
noob americans just figuring this out now...
not to mention it's another honya shenizen abomination.
born from caesarian from the now dead euro-reef with an afterthough BP thrown in for bad measure...
I hate these skimmers people....just for the record.

I personally like the skimmers pumps can be changed out most skimmers mods are to change a pump out for a better one. I believe there is a post about the sicce pumps with the mesh mode on a SWC Skimmer and people not liking the mesh mod I don't think one should hate a brand of a skimmer for the mesh mod on a pump? I have had alot of skimmers some I like better then others but I use what works best for my set up. and what I feel does the best job. I have a in80 vertex and love the thing is it the best no but it works and works well for that matter.

Have you ever owned a vertex??? They perform and they do it quiet well!!! I personally build my own skimmers but if I was gonna go cheap I would buy a vertex... The new swc look promising but to new to really review.... There made in china with cheap parts also...I'm all about European skimmers myself there expensive and there the best out there... The hefty price tag shows it.... It's not the cones that everyone thinks it is they cost about 2$ to make a injection molded cone... The mold is expensive up front but thats it... Show me proof that vertex are bad skimmers they have been in the us. For awhile and they always get a good review...

Back