skimmers/algae control

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I have an older/unknown skimmer working on my 125 gal reef/fish tank. I have to empty it (good stuff) once or twice a week. It seems to become less effiecnt as it fills up. AND I HAVE A PERSISTANT PROBLEM WITH HAIR ALGAE. Good water flow. Refugium soaking up nitrates and phosphates. Pulled back on the amount I feed. Reduced the lighting cycle. Still the hair algae persists. Might it be that my skimmer isn't strong enough? I've read where two skimmers are better than one. What do you think?

If you are cleaning out that skimmer that much, depending on the bio-load of your tank and how much waste is being produced along with few other factors, your skimmer may be more than enough. Any way to give us a run down of your setup? That way, it may be easier to figure out where the excess nitrates may be coming from. Just a thought:)

I think I have a bit of a heavy load. I have a 6 inch trigger (who leaves the corals alone, but eats up the recognized algae eaters... snails, crabs, etc.) and a 5 inch Naso tang anda 5 inch yellow tang, and then several smaller fish. They fill up the tank with action, and the leave the soft coral, the polyps, the mushrooms, and the one acro frag alone.

I had a cyno problem and fixed it with some Red Slime Remover, very effective, and it doesn't seem to have affected the tank chemistry at all.

But that green hair... what to do?????

Well, there is definately some excess nutrients in the tank why it is growing now where exactly, could possibly be with the bio-load as you mentioned. Also, what are your water change routines like? Weekly? Monthly? and also how much? Maybe bumping up the water changes (depending on how often it is done) may help with the issue. Also, the use of any sponges, filter socks, filter pads and so forth if being used, should be cleaned out every 2-3 days (or changed) to prevent water quality issues from waste settling and rotting in them which in turn will shoot up nitrates. Ro/di water is also a must as well because most tap water will contain some of the nasties you are trying to rid your tank of (nitrates, phosphates etc which fuel algae to grow) so by dumping in the "wrong" water won't help the situation. Also, good flow in the tank is a must. You don't have to blast everything, but you do want good coverage to prevent any deadspots where waste/detritus can settle and cause you water quality issues. Just a few things/ideas I figured I'd toss out. Not saying you are guilty of any of the above, but figured I mention them just to be safe:)

Oh...One more thing I forgot to mention:oops: Algae, as it grows, binds up the excess nutrients in your tank (nitrates, phosphates etc) and therefore, it must be exported (physically removed) to get those same excess nutrients out of the system. That is why you see people with refugiums every so often cut back their "algae" they are using for nutrient export. That is the only way to get these same excess nutrients that is bound up, out of the tank. So typically people with hair algae issues that won't subside, will try to do the same thing and physically remove what they can to try and export what's bound up. Sometimes it takes a few attempts so see a difference and sometimes you don't...It all depends on the availability of the algae's food source in the tank which will determine how much it will grow back if any. Just a thought...I had the same issues as you before with hair algae and tore down the tank for a few months because it whooped me good:p But I came back and things were much better. Maybe trying to firstly physically remove what you can of the hair algae may be a good first step to export what is bound up and then see how it goes from there...:)

Thanks for the info. I plan a water change this weekend. I'll try to remove some of the hair algae while I do that. (toothbrush)

I've been a little lax in water changes because my water chemistry has been fine. I thought, no nitate, no phosphate, good cal and alk levels, clear water, why bother? Is it possible that the algae is regulating the nitrate and phosphate levels, leading me to believe that all is good? Is it possible that if I can remove a bunch this weekend I'd see those levels rise?

My refugium is full of cheatomorpha. Perhaps that's not enough? Perhaps some chem. filtration help?

Just "thinking out loud" here. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Yeah...Algae will bind up the nitrates and phosphates giving you low readings but the fact that they are continuously growing, means there is a constant food supply. If only our macros like the chaeto you are using would outcompete the hair algae, then alot people would be happy. The problem is, hair algae is pretty aggressive. I say give it a shot exporting what is there and do a nice water change and see how it goes for you. :)

Back