Skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clay B.

Im setting up a 75 gal acrylic reef tank and am puzzled by protein skimmers and selection of. There are som many on the market. Any information would be appreciated.... :confused:

Here's some advice that's served me well re: skimmers

• a) don't buy cheap or you'll have junk
  • b) InSump (in my experience) have worked better than hang on back
  • c) get one that's rated at least 2x your tank capacity (manufacturers tend to OVER rate their products when no one is able to certify their claims)
  • d) Look for something that several other people with set-ups similar to yours are running and like

For my 90g system I ran an ASM G-3 and LOVED it!! Easy as pie to set up and it pulled some major YUCK out of my system.

There are tons of great skimmers out there that to pick and choose from. You'll first need to decide how you want to use it ( ie in sump, externally or as a hang on). Once you have determined that, them we'd know which direction to point you in as for some, in sump is just not an option. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are tons of great skimmers out there that to pick and choose from. You'll first need to decide how you want to use it ( ie in sump, externally or as a hang on). Once you have determined that, them we'd know which direction to point you in as for some, in sump is just not an option. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also what your goals are on keeping your reef tank - depending on your bio-load some brands of skimmers may perform better than others...

Shop around - establish a budget, and talk to people... See someone with a tank you like? Ask them what kind of skimmer they use, that helps a lot too :D

understand how your skimmer works- You want 3-5 times turn over of your total volume- more or less will effect how your skimmer performs. Flow inside tank- with powerheads, closed loops keep things suspended in water so skimmer works as designed. Stir that sand, blow off rocks with powerhead watch your skimmer go crazy. Things like foods with oil, you putting your hands in tank will effect your skimming. Get a skimmer that will work for your sump-when looking for skimmer look at recommended water levels- usually 6 or so inches maybe 8, etc. You can have the best skimmer in market but if skimmer is not at recommended height your skimmer is not going to perform as designed. Do what you can to keep skimmer water level constant. Water level height changes- so does skimmer performance. Keep water level stable with baffles or accurate auto top offs. best wishes, keep those animals thriving! Ed :)

Back