Skimming 101

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm getting very thick goo from my new skimmer now, it isn't making the large amounts of wet goo as the other skimmer & it takes a lot longer to make the little it produces, I still have to consider some designs temporary to convert the skimmer into a re-circ. I won't drill holes until I know it works, I think this can be done though, I hope maybe this weekend I can get it done. I'm really intrested to see how this change works, if I'm not happy I guess I'll be getting an air pump.

Scooty - the question is - how do you know the thick goo you are seeing does not contain as many proteins as the wet goo? I'm starting to think we need to move away from skimmate "quality", and focus more on how the skimmer functions?

What really sucks for me is knowing how much money I spent on a skimmer that I really didn't understand the concept of, instead of understanding the concepts of skimming first and applying those to the skimmers I was considering. :mad:

NaH2O said:
Scooty - the question is - how do you know the thick goo you are seeing does not contain as many proteins as the wet goo? I'm starting to think we need to move away from skimmate "quality", and focus more on how the skimmer functions?

What really sucks for me is knowing how much money I spent on a skimmer that I really didn't understand the concept of, instead of understanding the concepts of skimming first and applying those to the skimmers I was considering. :mad:
On the first part, I agree, this thread has opened my eyes, learning the principles & how they function is important, we didn't even touch other types of skimmers as beckets etc.

On the second part, I may of not spent as much but I sure wish I could do it again, I still don't know what I would get because I'm thinking money may be an issue right now for me but I think it may be a case where It is a must, either that or build one myself & I'm so busy right now I don't think I can do it.

we didn't even touch other types of skimmers as beckets etc.

True - AquaC for instance, uses a special spray injection system and they say their new baffling system with the larger mixing box results in less turbulence and increased contact time. I'm not sure taking different brands and breaking them down is a good idea, but the designs might be fine. The problem is Aqua C is the only brand with this type of design that I know of.

Even if I could go back and do it again, I'm not sure the type of skimmer I need for great efficiency is available without DIYing it? I think there are skimmers being made to copy the design Mike came up with using airstones again.

Scott - why don't you post up your skimmer specs, so we can break it down like mine.

Volume of water, recirc pump you are looking at, etc.

I guess it really pays-off to be in a good company to learn a lot. Thank you all for the valuable information I'm learning on this threads.

I was just wondering as I read the principles of skimming if:

1. Would there be a limit on the amount of organic molecule that a bubble could carry.

2. If so, would this not cause the bubble to burst prematurely.(Before it reaches the collection cup)

Again thanks!!!

Joey

Nikki I posted the specs already but I'll have to figure water volume so as soon as I have time to I'll post what I have.

Scooty - if you know what recirc pump (can't remember if you posted that) you're looking at, then maybe we can do a comparison of your numbers and see how much of an improvement it will be to make modifications. I'm not sure if its possible, but it seems like we (Mike - lol ;))could figure it out.

Ok I was thinking of just using the gen-x 900gph I have now but that may be too much, I could rob the needle wheel OR 2700 (claimed 700gph) off the TB 1000, or if I can get a needle wheel for one of my OR 3500's, they are claimed 900gph. The little OR2700 made great bubbles for the smaller body of the TB1000, not sure it will be enough for the skimmer I have now. 8" I.D. main tube, 18.5" tall to the top flange, 1/2 flanges the 4" neck @ 6.5" tall then the cup, making a total 26.5" tall.

Hiya Skipper
1. Would there be a limit on the amount of organic molecule that a bubble could carry.
yes thier the amount would be dectated by the surface area. The bubble shouldnt break because of it, if anything it makes the bubble stronger.

Mike

Skipper J said:
I guess it really pays-off to be in a good company to learn a lot. Thank you all for the valuable information I'm learning on this threads.

I was just wondering as I read the principles of skimming if:

2. If so, would this not cause the bubble to burst prematurely.(Before it reaches the collection cup)

Again thanks!!!

Joey

Joey - I'm not sure about the limit of proteins on the bubble. I imagine it would depend on the surface area of the bubble. I don't think it would burst the bubble prior to the collection cup.

edit - I see mike beat me to it :)

went back quickly through the thread and I didn't see anything on bubble size (or I missed it... :rolleyes: )...how about a little info on optimal bubble size and WHY that size is optimal?

MikeS

MIke your looking for a bubble size of around 100 microns to 1/32

Yes marinedreamer

Alot of great info here. Thanks Mike. Im still happy with my Turboflotor 1000 classic and OR2700 pump. But if it can be made to be better Im all ears. My biggest question is do these skimmers really achieve what the makers say such as tank size EX:Its good for a fully loaded 90 gal tank of SPSs coral.
Are there claims backed up by fact or just shooting a lot of hot air.
What skimmers actually do what the manufactures claim.
My skimmer has a recurculating pump with a feed from a Maxijet 404 mini pump which is about 103 gph. Going with a smaller feed pump would that allow more dwell time for the bubbles to pick up more inorganics and increase the efficentency of the skimmer. Or am I getting this all wrong.

MINIATUS :?:

I have never really looked into manufactures recommendations min. I am not sure if they are using a formula or by by experence?

On your skimmer, post up its size (how many gallons it holds) and then the size of the orafice of the venturi where air is drawing in and then maybe I can give you some numbers

Mike

How do I measure how many gals it holds. In take of air is a 3/16 black hose.

Maybe you know what the gals are. Turboflotor 1000 classic.

Min - what is the diameter of the skimmer or its dimensions....also include the height.

Main Chamber is about 14 in high and 4 in inside diameter. Does that help.

Back