skimming to wet????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brady816

I have a question for everyone. I know some people skim wet some people skim dry. Here is a pic let me know if its to wet. Its on a 55 gal tank. As you can see where the rubber ring is where should i place it at?? Its a aqua c remora skimmer

Could be a bit dryer, but not important unless you don't do water changes and want to conserve. Wetter skimate takes out as much or more than dry...

I do weekly water changes about 35% I use NSW and have been for a year.
The question I have is, it seems like my tank is not salty enough. It is ALWAYS 1.025 using a Specific Gravity Meter. Is this ok for now?

Thanks for your help.

i would adjust so its a lot darker colour, it will do a better job in long run.

My AquaC nano was adjusted to produce basically the same skimmate consistency as yours. Sometimes going for really dry you end up not producing much so I just kept an eye on my salinity and produced semi-wet skimmate.:)

I have an the exact same skimmer. I think you are right on with that amount and color for your tank. Just make sure you are doing a weekly water change to replace your minerals lost.

I was told by alot of people that the only skimmate you can really get from the aqua C is wet. Someone's exact words were to "expect wet skimmate"

His exact words in email:
"EXPECT wet skimmate. It WILL NOT produce dry foam. From the research I've done and what the owner of AquaC told me.. they are SUPPOSE to produce wet skimmate. "

I get about that same color in mine by the way...

i would adjust so its a lot darker colour, it will do a better job in long run.

I disagree. The wetter the skimmate the more protiens it pulls out. The biggest pitfall of running wet is a drop in salinity and lower minerals we dont test for.
It looks a tiny bet wet for my taste but if I go much darker I am guaranteed a cyano outbreak in my tank. As you can tell by the last sentence. My skimmer is over worked.

O.K. I wont argue. However, I have heard, wetter skimmate pulls more protiens more quickly via more water in general.

IME when I skim wet, my SSB stays clean. When I skim dry, my SSB get dirty and in a week or two I get cyano. AS is said "my skimmer is over worked". I will admit, I am a relative newb with only a year and a half into reefing. I definately dont know much.
One thing do know for fact. You know far more about every aspect of this hobby than I. You must agree though. It takes a guy (or girl) like me to keep your posts detailed to the fullest potential.:D

Last edited:
O.K. I wont argue. However, I have heard, wetter skimmate pulls more protiens more quickly via more water in general.

IME when I skim wet, my SSB stays clean. When I skim dry, my SSB get dirty and in a week or two I get cyano. AS is said "my skimmer is over worked". I will admit, I am a relative newb with only a year and a half into reefing. I definately dont know much.
One thing do know for fact. You know far more about every aspect of this hobby than I. You must agree though. It takes a guy (or girl) like me to keep your posts detailed to the fullest potential.:D

I look at like a can of concentrated orange juice. If I have a 12oz can of frozen juice and another identical can that I dilute with 36oz of tap water, I still only have two cans of concentrated juice. We know this is accurate but when was the last time anyone measured the concentration of their skimmate? Its much easier to monitor water quality and do what fits instead of following the crowd.

Don

I look at like a can of concentrated orange juice. If I have a 12oz can of frozen juice and another identical can that I dilute with 36oz of tap water, I still only have two cans of concentrated juice. We know this is accurate but when was the last time anyone measured the concentration of their skimmate? Its much easier to monitor water quality and do what fits instead of following the crowd.

Don

Excellent analogy. But, when I skim wet, the throat of the skimmer stays clear longer, allowing more protiens( green tea colored water) to be removed. Otherwise, with a remote collection bucket, I shouldnt ever have to clean the riser tube? As I said in another post, I have been tipping the bottle, I dont mean to be insulting or derogetory. I only mean to be inquisitive and to learn from someone with more knowledge......

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone. I know some people skim wet some people skim dry. Here is a pic let me know if its to wet. Its on a 55 gal tank. As you can see where the rubber ring is where should i place it at?? Its a aqua c remora skimmer

looking to move the rubber ring down another 1/2 inch or so. this will start to produce more of a drier/darker skimmate.
i've got the same skimmer and it will fill up with light colour skimmate, in a day, till i moved it down some. personally i like to have a lighter skimmate, as i think i pulls out more crap
hth

Back