skimmy's uber nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mark, is there a difference between the iodine in the Elos supplement, and the iodide that's in other supplements (like the Warner Marine iodide)? I've heard conflicting things about that, but one source said that iodide is just the form of iodine that exists in seawater. What do you think?

According to my Mac's dictionary.
iodine |ˈīəˌdīn|
noun
the chemical element of atomic number 53, a nonmetallic element forming black crystals and a violet vapor. (Symbol: I)
• a solution of this in alcohol, used as a mild antiseptic.
A member of the halogen group, iodine occurs chiefly as salts in seawater and brines. As a constituent of thyroid hormones, it is required in small amounts in the body, and deficiency can lead to goiter.
ORIGIN early 19th cent.: from French iode (from Greek iōdēs ‘violet-colored,’ from ion ‘violet’ + -eidēs ‘like’ ) + -ine 4 .

iodide |ˈīəˌdīd|
noun Chemistry
a compound of iodine with another element or group, esp. a salt of the anion I −.

No problem Jan. :)
So Mark, you gonna add another fish soon? That firefish is looking pretty lonely. A yasha goby would be cool like you said. The one BR has in their Elos tank is amazing! With it's long streamer and all. Is the long streamer typical characteristic of only males or females of the species? Or both?

i know, that fish is lonely.....

i was thinking a yasha would be good....
i might try a mandarin though...just because they are hard to keep, and so awesome.
with all the new food products, i think i can get one eating,
and i can just take him to the store and throw him in a fuge if he doesnt eat.
the other thing i was thinking was the red and yellow pipe fish too. they are sweet.

Mark, is there a difference between the iodine in the Elos supplement, and the iodide that's in other supplements (like the Warner Marine iodide)? I've heard conflicting things about that, but one source said that iodide is just the form of iodine that exists in seawater. What do you think?

my understanding is that iodine turns into iodide right after it hits the water, and a few chloride molecules...

wwouu dood, that's awesome :) .
seriously dood your tank is beautiful, hey how about a catalina goby those fishes look kewl too.

hey dood i got a question, i don't know if you already said something :p but do you have any heating issues?
i'm setting up a 10 gal nano and i'm trying to find out as much as i can when it comes to heating issues, lighting, anything pretty much hehe :p .
by the way how does it feel to be sumpless? :p

well, ive moved the tank from one room to the living room and changed it up a bit.
and fyi...
dont let anyone tell you brittle stars are safe in a reef tank, the smaller one i put in because it was so cool looking, ate;

1 fire shrimp,
2 pepermint shrimp,
1 firefish

so i had to put all new shrimp in, and get a new fish, so i got the mandarin goby i was wanting. so far so good, he's still fat and eating pods, but still too many pods for him to be interested in the prawn roe, and cyclopeeze i put in every day. i'll probably get some of adelaid's oceanpods to put in there as well.
im also going to be upgrading to a larger tank at the end of the month, as well.
a 65g w/ maple stand and canopy,
ATB cone skimmer,
175mh in a lumenarc w/4 t5's,
tunze nanostream pumps.

i'll take some more pics today of the 15g after i clean it up:)

Coolness, I hope you will be doing a progress report on your 65g. As I am in the beginning phase of putting together a 65 aga.

Very Cool, :)
Alex

hey dood i got a question, i don't know if you already said something :p but do you have any heating issues?
i'm setting up a 10 gal nano and i'm trying to find out as much as i can when it comes to heating issues, lighting, anything pretty much hehe :p .
by the way how does it feel to be sumpless? :p

good question gabs!
it does vary some, like from 77-80, which i wish it didnt do, but i have the window mount ac just in case for the room in the summer.
and i was thinking about one of those nifty looking euro clap on fan units for the tank too, because i 'd get better par if my t5's were fan cooled, and my tank would evaporate more water, keeping it cool. im thinking im going to wait on setting the 65g up now...i just have ichy trigger finger. i want to wait until i move into my own place instead of staying with family before i set it up. im buying an atb cone skimmer from jan for my small tank, so that's all i really care about...lol
it's going to be funny, a 15g with a ATB skimmer designed for 200g...lol
i'll start feeding like a mad man

here's some decent pics...they are close enough for every one to see my lazyness when it comes to scrubbing algae...i havent done anything for like a month, so just pretend the bubble algae and brown dictoya are gone:D i need to start running phosphate media again, i havent for a couple months and i've ramped up feeding and dosing in the tank, so i should be changing carbon every week and phos. media every month:idea::rolleyes:

newcam019.jpg

reeftest005.jpg

reeftest002.jpg

reeftest007.jpg

reeftest027.jpg

reeftest003.jpg

well, thanks to chuck, i was able to pick up a deltec mce600 for less than half the retail price!!! i didnt realize until i had this thing(i've only owned a turbo 1250, and an apf600 of the deltec skimmers) that you can fit your heater as well a media bag in the last chamber if you take out the "media shelf" i also put a "barrier" made of an acrylic piece with holes drilled in it before the outlet, so that the media bag couldnt float up and cover the outlet causing an overflow. i keep it in place with a couple suction cups.
i also plan on chopping the inlet and outlet to half of their length, so they dont sick out into the tank as much.
im glad i snagged this when i did, as the sedra pump decided to cook itself on the octo bh100f:(

of coarse, pictures of the deltec and my mods to come;)

when this thing catches up with my tank, im going to have to start feeding more, and now i wont have to put an ATB on my 15g...lol

Mark you should be REAL happy with that skimmer!!! Please post some updated pictures when you get a chance- I’m curious about this barrier deal you speak of.

Mike

How are the tanks coming along? Haven't seen any updates for the nano or 65 gallon in awhile.

Alex

That blasto is about the nicest I've ever seen. The mandarin looks awesome as well(so does verything else) got any full tank shots for us? You got any pics of that rainbow acan? I wanna see what it looks like in your tank

Back