Slimy brown algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

5ft24

So the new tank, a 55, is up, been running almost a month, watched the params for the cycle, finished with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate.
PH 8.4, KH 12.0, SG 1.024.
Skimmer running, pulled some junk, added 2 sgt major damsels, 1 royal gramma, 1 clarkii clown, 3 BIG turbo snails and 3 nassarius snails.
Have done 2 10g water changes, have carbon running as well. Nitrates now down to 10. Have 4 65w 10K/actinic combo PC lights and about an 8 hour day light cycle. Feed a SMALL pinch of spectrum pellets/day, and they appear to suck everything up.
I would say what I have is diatoms, but it is accumulating on the glass as well. Light to medium brown and slightly slimey.
In the AM it's almost gone, but even an hour of light, and it's back on the sand, rocks etc...
Any suggestions?
6e5u5yny.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

It sounds more like a slight cyano outbreak. It may go away given some time for the good bacteria to catch up with the added bioload and the nitrate level comes down. I notice you have the very fine sand, so there is probably not a lot of flow int that area. you might add just enough flow as to not blow the sand around, but at lease keep the water movement a little more active in that area.
siphon it a little more often and blow the rocks off as much as you can to keep detritus from settling.
Just some of my thoughts right at the moment.

If its like brown snot you have Dino. The easy way to tell is the snotty texture and will have air bubbles as it progresses. Do more water changers and maybe run phosban, MORE FLOW.

Don

Yep, a few spots have the bubbles.
Will definitely get phosban and adjust the flow a bit.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Back