small cylindrical particles in my tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mhgelb

I just started a new reef tank, all I got in the tank is live rock, 2 damsels and a bit of hair algae. I see some detritus on the bottom of the tank (no sand in the tank yet) and there are a bunch of small green cylindrical things about 1 mm in dia. and about 5 mm long with a slight curl to them, they look like plastic pellets but they crush easily and so they are soft. I don't think it is fish poop since there are too many and also damsels don't poop out pellets I think. They seem to be dead in that they don't move. What are they? Some sort of worm castings or?

Could be some sort of die off from the rock. Without a pic it's to hard to say.
I take it that your cycling your tank using the Damsels right? If so have you ever heard of a *fishless cycle* Just wondering due to my concern for the fish :)

well I had my rock in a dark trash can with seawater, powerhead and heater for about 5 months, now I am starting my tank again. the rock should be in pretty good shape, nitrate and phosphate are reading zero. i can try to post a picture.

Amonia test? I was surprised to see how much my wifes little 2" yellow tang poops. Long thick nasties. Never noticed till i got it into qt. You may ne suprised to see what comes out of some fish!

I am feeding the damsels some formula I pellets. I think maybe it is fish poops. I will do an ammonia test on it, good idea. Maybe I am noticing it cause I got no sand in the tank yet. The cylinders were not hollow in the microscope so I don't think they are worm castings. Fish poop, good idea. the amount of the cylinders is not unlike the amt of food i have feed to date and the fish are about the same size. Well thanks pandora 32, that is the best crap idea I have heard in a long time!

I'd say fish poop........I have seen some very small fish make BIG poop.........

Just gentley pick one out and taste it.........does it taste like poop? .......Must be poop.....LOL JK.

Back