Small fish for refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

memer

I have a HOT refugium, holds about 4 gallons. 24 long, 10 tall and 4 wide. It has miracle mud at the base with about 1" sand on top. There is small rock, many amphipods and copepods, tiny brittle stars, a few snails and hermit crabs and two small feather dusters. I would like to put in one or two small fish that will stay small. I was considering a yellow clown, a rainford's goby or a Hectors goby. Would these stay small enough? What other small fish would be recommended?

I have a HOT refugium, holds about 4 gallons. 24 long, 10 tall and 4 wide. It has miracle mud at the base with about 1" sand on top. There is small rock, many amphipods and copepods, tiny brittle stars, a few snails and hermit crabs and two small feather dusters. I would like to put in one or two small fish that will stay small. I was considering a yellow clown, a rainford's goby or a Hectors goby. Would these stay small enough? What other small fish would be recommended?

Most people think of a fuge as a place to put thingsa they don't want in there display and a refuge for things that would usualy not flurish in the display like you'r already mentioned amphipods and copepods.

If you add a fish to it you'll be just making it an extention of you'r display tank.

Someone els might chime in on a fish that would be benaficial to a sump but I don't know of any. they would, for the most part reverse the benafits of having a fuge.
just my 2¢.

I agree with menace78. I think that puting a fish in there would defeate the purpose of the ("refuge" from fish ium). Also, I think that's a really small space for any fish, espesially assuming that a good portion of it is full of mud, sand and algae.

Wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Granddaughter and I spend a lot of time looking for what is new in the "fuge" and thought a small fish would be interesting but was concerned about the small space. I do have another refugium in my sump that is just algae's etc. Other than the small amount of chaeto that is in the fuge everything else has just appeared. I appreciate everyone's input!

Wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Granddaughter and I spend a lot of time looking for what is new in the "fuge" and thought a small fish would be interesting but was concerned about the small space. I do have another refugium in my sump that is just algae's etc. Other than the small amount of chaeto that is in the fuge everything else has just appeared. I appreciate everyone's input!

I hear ya. I can spend an hour easily just checking out what's new in the fuge. Good fun.:)

Back