Small Flood. Oh YEAH!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

Well I had a exciting first few minutes this morning. I got up, walked into the living room and heard, Grrrr-Grrrr-Grrrr-runnnncchhhhh. My aqualifter lines had cloged up with algae and stoped pulling the air out of my cpr. So it stoped letting the water flow into the sump, the pump kept doing its job, and pumped the water up. The tank filled up and probley 5 gallons went on the floor. Now the sump being dry all night didnt do my heater, skimmer, return pump, and chaeto any good at all. Chateo is almost all dead, the heater still works, the skimmer still works and the return pump still works, just noisier. Had a spare aqualifter and used black silocone this time instead of blue. Maybe that will solve the problem.
If you have a aqualifter, this might be a great time to check the lines and order a spare. LOL I had a spare and now I need to order another one.
Woooo Hoooooo!!!!!! I love a first thing in the morning flood.

hmm i was gonna say ouch, but i guess you are really happy about it:confused: :D , but true there's nothing like a little rush in the morning to wake you up.:p
On the good side you get to order a new aqualifter :)

Ok, that doessn't match the 30 gallons in my basement yesterday when one of the lines on my ro/di unit blew out,:eek: :eek: but it is a good tip on the aqualifter pumps. I'm gonna check mine right now!!!:D :D

charlie said:
You can have all the flood alarms you want, but if you ain't home......................
Does a tree make a sound if it falls down and there is no one there?????
True, but most of my floods were at night when I was home.

DonW said:
You need one of these.

Ok Don, what is that? It looks like a capacitator for a time machine. :lol: ...I know it isn't, but You always find and know how everything works..

Ed Hahn said:
Ok Don, what is that? It looks like a capacitator for a time machine. :lol: ...I know it isn't, but You always find and know how everything works..

Ed,

Its a optical switch similar to the Tunze ato. In this case it would stay dry until the tank got to high. If one was mounted at just before the flood point, it would never get wet. No coraline or snail problems.

Don

maybe a rumor.

i have that same problem twice. Hair algae in the aqualifter feed line does it every time. Its wierd to no hair algae in the tank just the cpr over flow, now i clean it weekly, but every month or so it clogs and i see the return line not flowing. Which means high tide is on the horizon. (Side note: has anyone attempted to explain to there frantic wife over the phone the difference between a large ball valve and a small ball valve. Let alone what a ball valve is? I sympatize with her though I was yelling at that point as i heard running water in the background, "TURN THE SMALL BALL VALVES CLOSEST TO YOU NOW GODDAMMIT!!!!" Any how back to my point, my buddies lfs uses cpr over flows but he runs them all off of powerheads with a venturi adapter. And he has plenty of hair algae to test them with, never had a problem i also read this somewhere but have yet to attempt it. I guess i emjoy walking by my tank only to hear it peeing on the floor. i guess i like the adrenaline rush well and the "did you call me stupid?" arguements with my wife. I am gonna try this to try and combat the problem. I have been using compressed air to clear the lines and the aqua lifter but be careful blowing in the aqualifter it will seperate the mebranes causing you to have to disassemble the unit to re install them. Try the powerhead idea first i read you can use as small as a rio 600 but i would try something bigger. more suck for your buck. Any how i gotta go check my aqua lifter as you guys are making me nervous i havent checked it in a while. :eek:

yep looky there no flow im gonna go get a power head now i lket you know how i turns out!

Thats sucks Wrightme43. I hope to have that problem after the holidays. lol. I was doing a water change and pooring the water in my tank when my kids distracted me. Then I over filled my tank. LOL not so bad since I am the cause of the overflow. I just need to lock my kids in there room when I am doing it from now on.

Let alone what a ball valve is? I sympatize with her though I was yelling at that point as i heard running water in the background, "TURN THE SMALL BALL VALVES CLOSEST TO YOU NOW GODDAMMIT!!!!"

lol :D you know i remember my husband yelling at me and telling me that it was over because it was the second time he explained me and i still flooded the apartment downstairs :D .
and Detri, like i always say... welcome to my world ;) :D

spongebob lover said:
lol :D you know i remember my husband yelling at me and telling me that it was over because it was the second time he explained me and i still flooded the apartment downstairs :D .
and Detri, like i always say... welcome to my world ;) :D
Hey Gabbi,
Havn't you learned to take a coupple empty salt buckets and give them to the neighbor? Tell em to get ready for the next time.:rolleyes: :D
Scott

so donw question I guess that will turn off a pump and then turn it back on ? where do you get it ? I also have some browser problem for some reason I cant see any thumbnails in your post for example I only see an empty box if I float my mouse inside it there is a small point on the right side where the icon changes then I can double click and it opens up another window and then I see it.

plack said:
so donw question I guess that will turn off a pump and then turn it back on ? where do you get it ? I also have some browser problem for some reason I cant see any thumbnails in your post for example I only see an empty box if I float my mouse inside it there is a small point on the right side where the icon changes then I can double click and it opens up another window and then I see it.

By the middle of next week I will be the local supplier. I negociated a deal with the manufacturer. They are expensive $63 is what they go for. Basicly they are designed for industrial applications where level control is very important. They are pretty small about the size of your thumb 1/2 npt and can be mounted from top down or from side.

Don

Cool Idea Don, that would be a wonderful way to turn off the return pump. Can you make it set off a alarm as well? Maybe pump off, alarm on crkt?

Back