Small sump for a 50 gal hex?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Manderdz3

We want to set up an awesome 50 gallon hexagon we got, but are having trouble coming up with idea's for a sump. Would a 5 gallon tank be enough? Or will we have to custom build our own to fit? The stand obviously is not very big.

I think a 5 gal may be too small unfortunately. If you plan on running a skimmer in your sump, I don't think you will find very many good skimmers rated for that size tank that could fit in a 5 gal and function properly. On top of that, you wouldn't even be using the full 5 gals as you can't fill a sump to the brim and run it so you may only end up with a sump with about 3 gals of water. Personally, I'd get something custom built once you figure out what you want to use the sump for (ie what type of skimmer, other equipment etc) rather than mess with a 5 gal that won't offer you a whole bunch of options. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! We knew it probably wouldn't work, we were just hoping it would. Haha. Our first custom sump will be in the works soon! Wish us luck! :)

So the stand just isn't big enough for any kind of sump. Is there any other filtration that would be suitable for a reef aquaium in that 50 gal hex? We were thinking a Skilter, but have seen mixed reviews on them.

What space do you have to work with? Let us know. I used a really small sump underneath my 38 gal and it had a skimmer in it rated for a tank twice that size so it's all in the design. Let us know which dimensions you have to work with. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, can you post up a pic of the stand with some opening dimensions. I'm thinking that a custom acrylic sump could be cut then assembled/glued inside of the stand base. Another option could be a remote sump/fuge if there is a place for one close by ??? I'm just up in the Silver Lk area and could posibly help?

Cheers, Todd

I'm thinking the remote option would be your best bet. If you have a cabinet or something you can set up next to the tank you could put it inside there. There's always the whats on the other side of the wall option? If its a garage that's a good solution for you =) If i could plump my sump to a location besides under my tank (preferably the garage) i would do it in an instant!

Back