Small Tank for Office

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

I am looking at getting a small tank outfit that I can fit in my office for christmas.

I see that the eclipse system 12 is on sale and it has lighting and filtration.

Is there any other cheap system that would be better? anyone have one for sale. Just looking for something to play with.

A BioCube 8 or 14 is a nice size for an office. I started back in the hobby with a BC 8 a few years ago. It's ready to go out of the box. It made a nice softy tank.

From what I can remember, I think the eclipse system are geared more towards a feshwater setup, but could be wrong. If you are looking for something small and all in one, maybe look at an oceanic bio-cube or JBJ nano etc. I know current USA made a 12gal all in one nano at one time, but not sure of it is still on the market. Might have to do a search on it. I had the 24gal version and was quite happy with it.

Just a few thoughts. :)

Krish is right...out of the box the Eclipse is a FW set up. Neither the light nor the filtration (carbon filled mesh filter cartridge and "bio" wheel) are adequate for a SW tank. I happened upon one a couple of years ago and had the same idea for a small reef for my office. I remember finding some old links about people making nano reefs with them...I think from the early 2000's. Anyway, I don't know how cheap you mean, but here's my experience with office nano tanks:

Eclipse 12 - the tank was part of a package deal ($10) essentially free, painted the back black, used a AquaC Remora HOB skimmmer w/pre-skimmer box (I picked up a used remora w/MJ1200 for $70...the pre-skimmer box was new for $29), the light was a new 20" 2x40 Watt PC Current USA dual Satellite fixture ($123), Stealth 50W heater ($26), 2 Hydor Koralia nanos ($22.50 ea.), plus I added a Digital Aquatics RKL1 to control the lights and heater ($99)...so near $400 before rock and livestock.

2yvpjd0.jpg

This set up didn't last too long...I don't know if it was related to the acrylic or what, but some sort of green/brown algae started to form on the sides and front...and it was really, really hard to get off. My little nano magnet wouldn't touch it, and getting my arm in up to my elbow was really messy with all the water sloshing around. So I ultimately moved everything to a small glass aquarium...I'll post that next.

One thing I forgot to mention in the last post...depending on your office situation, noise could be an issue. I found the Remora and fan in the light fixture to be quite loud in my office setting. I'm more tolerant 'cause I like the tanks...but if you have any office mates it's something to consider.

So anyway, with the "too tough to scrap" algae problem I was having with the Eclipse, I swapped everything over to a Mr. Aqua 11.4 gallon glass tank ($60 shipped from Marine Depot)...again, I painted the back black. I also upgraded to a new Warner Marine H1 HOB skimmer (the remora was too noisy and inefficient)...the H1 was $225). So now my little office tank was getting pretty spendy...close to $700 w/o rock or livestock. But the glass tank was WAY easier to keep clean.

344wkr5.jpg

Unfortunately, I developed a GHA algae issue in the tank that I just couldn't fix...after a year I rescued the livestock that was left and took it down.

The other office tank I did was a JBJ 12DX nanocube. I bought a brand new set up from Nanotuners.com (lighting upgraded to 96Watts of PC light, and silenx hood fans), the deal also included a Sapphire nanoskimmer. By the time I got some nano power heads, heater and RKL1 controller...this wasn't a cheap one either (probably over $700 before rock and livestock).

nnqp15.jpg

I really grew to hate this tank. The Sapphire skimmer required the water level to be very precise and never seemed to really skim well. The modular surface skimmer (required maintain the proper water level for the skimmer was only mounted by pressure from the return pump) constantly fell off (I should have glued the damn thing). The extra PC lighting caused a heat issue, I couldn't get the temp below 80 degrees, and the feeding lid is poorly designed such that it's really easy to snap it off. Also, trying to manage all the cables out the back was troublesome.

Ultimately this tank developed the same, actually worse, GHA problem as my other tank...so I tore it down too.

My next attempt will be an ELOS Mini...stay tuned! :eek:

I have begun to see a number of Fluval Edges converted to SW recently. Only 6 gal and very sleek looking.

I'd probably stay away from those Fluva Edges as the ones I have seen have a fully encased top which would not allow for proper O2 and gas exchage to occur.

You'd probably be better served with a Bio Cube or even picking up a little 7 gallon minibow.

It really is all depending on what you'd like to keep in the tank as to what size you should purchase. Also depends on how much you're willing to spend. I've seen small tanks with all the bells and whistles run in excess of $1K when all said and done. But on the other hand I've seen and have done ones with everything and been well under $200.

Back