Smallest mesh mod ever!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman

Has Met Willis
It may not be the smallest ever, but it's the smallest I've personally seen. On my JBJ 12g nano, I'm running that Sapphire skimmer. It's always been a lot noisier than I thought it should be, and the pump it comes with has been extremely inconsistent, so I replaced the pump. I'm now running a MicroJet 320, and I mesh modded it! Sure, this seems a little silly, but I thought I'd give it a shot, anyway.

The pump is so small, I could only put a single layer of Enkamat on it. The impeller had three blades on it, and I cut those way down, to about 1/4 their original size. I left that little on there, so I'd have something to attach the mesh to so it would spin. The scale of the project is so small, I wasn't able to use the standard fishing string ties (and especially not zip ties) to attach the mesh. I tried super glue gel, but I made a bit of a mess of the whole thing with that. You can still see the residue on the inside of the impeller housing on the pump in the photos below. In the end, I used some aquarium silicone I had sitting around. Just a dab on the end of the impeller has held the Enkamat mesh without issue. I also had to drill a hole in the pump body for the air inlet. I took a look at my existing pump, and just matched it. It really wasn't anything fancy, at all.

In the end, the actual mesh ended up being a single layer, about the size of a nickel. It's only been running less than an hour, so I can't say much for any increase in performance, but it's definitely a LOT quieter, and the bubbles are undoubtedly much finer. If I pull off the collection cup, the bubbles almost look like smoke at the top of the skimmer body.

nanomesh1.jpg

nanomesh2.jpg

does this work on the mags?sorry stupid question probably but till the serda is fixed?

mags are a beyotch to mesh... the impellar and impellar well are so small, and the outlet is usually only 1/2" so while yes, you can do it, there are much better pump to do this to...plus, theyre loud and hot...me no likey for skimmer

The bubbles are definitely more numerous and finer. The noise is definitely gone. The skimmate was barely darker than water, at its best. Now, it's like an extremely weak tea, but that's still darker than it was. It also stinks now, when before there was almost no smell. I'll post some pics I just took when I jump over to my home computer so I can resize them.

Another major consideration is that the only bioload is a pair of itty bitty baby bangaii cardinals. The larger one of the two is at about an inch from nose to tip of tail. They were born in March (local reefer bred). So... there's not a lot for the skimmer to pull out.

Back